T/C Icon bolt action rifle

No mention of hand-cannons, they probably want their break-open models for that use. I am also a composite fan, just don't have to worry about protecting the stock from scratches. I get more abuse going in and out of my gunsafes, just plain clumsy. Knowing T/C they will turn out some models down the road that will be huntin' tools. Even one for us LR types called the - oooops, not supposed to talk too much. When I can release the goods I will, just have to play the game for a while.

Thanks for the info Ian, and of course I'll get at least one in 308 Win when they come into production, most other chamberings don't interest me. Will they come with a free lifetime supply of ammo or at least a pumpkin or two??

Short action initially, it is very smooth and has some interesting features. You can dissassemble the bolt in about fifteen seconds, bolt handle style can be switched, detachable magazine and it is easy to remove, will not fall out accidentally. Did I mention the trigger is exteriorly adjustable from 2.5-4 pounds - ooops another slip to the LRH crowd.

Dave,
You will not sleep well until you have one in .308 Winchester. This is a carrying gun that will shoot way out there even with a standard weight barrel. Your type of rig is just over the horizon - that is when this gets interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds good.
Any hints it might be used as a action for a bolt specialty pistol???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice question!!!!!

Ian, very interested in this rifle and always expect good things from T/C. Without losing your "top secret" clearance can you tell me: Will WSM's be available in the first short action chamberings? Is a 7mm/08 a sure thing? Will other configurations be available before Fall 2007? Varmint .17 caliber (new Remington .17 Fireball) possible? Also, can you give up any secrets on Nikon scopes that may be of interest?

Thanks

Steve

No WSM's initially, just the four calibers mentioned in the 24 Hour cut and paste. No doubt they will happen. 7-08 is also a natural but not initially, hope they do a .260 also to really round out the .308 case based cartridges. Some final decisions just being made that will bring the rifle closer to reality. It will be a dandy. Going to be a heavy one for tactical/LR use too. They are moving fast but not rushing into anything - doing it right rather than cheap. Amazing amount of design decisions to be made when you start from scratch, have to relate lots of thought to ability to manufacture, material, etc.

T/C is good at making simple, reliable, accurate rifles in my experience - the ICON will carry on that tradition but add a bit of style and really good looks. Plus some design features that have never been used in a boltgun that are very slick in my somewhat biased opinion. I would not be surprised to see the production rifles being the most accurate on the market for several reasons.

Have some info and images to share with your guys that are very unigue, but just have to wait a bit for sharing. Am writing a piece right now for North American Hunter readers, you guys who get that mag will get the skinny that no other writer can provide. Was a real special deal for me to have the opportunity to work so closely with T/C on this boltgun project. Probably the only time I will get so much inside vision and input into the creation of a new rifle. Pretty neat stuff, been sitting on it for some time and want to share it with you guys since we have gunnies here. Plus the .30 TC and new muzzleloader are very significant new toys for 07.

T/C has been working on production capability for super-accurate barrels, nasty accuracy, shot some amazing groups during a test a while back using another bolt-action receiver. That is another can of worms.

Nikon tacticals are overdue, I am really looking forward to them. The previous tacticals are fine scopes, bet the new ones will be even better. Other new optics? I think many.

icon1.jpg

I'm really interested in one of these rifles, but Im gonna have to wait awhile until i can get one, I want a stainless/synthetic in a magnum caliber. Im not great with patience.

Dave,
They are still tweeking the ICON, making it better with every new idea implemented. This is going to be a heck of a rifle, more of a platform to build slick rifles from. The wood in that stock is so nice, I would almost be afraid to take it hunting. But I would. There is going to be a lot of fuss over this rifle, starting in January.

Do you have a up-close picture of that action?

Bit late now, but one safety I really like, is the Mauser 03 safety! Cant really warm up to the Remington-like safety in a hunting rifle.

Anywho, it looks really nice!!

Will get some closeups out later, they are tied-up right now with a magazine. No good if they were on the internet before they come out in the article.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.