T/C Encore....

crazyhorse

Just purchased a new T/C Encore in 300 win mag. Does anyone have any experience with these guns? I have started the break in process and let me tell you recoil is tremendous! Already had to change out rings and bases as the originals would not hold a zero. A muzzle break will be next if the little gun proves a shooter. ...i had heard good things accuracy-wise about these guns, can anybody comment with tips or suggestions?

Oh by the way I'm a newbie here, seems a pretty cool place!

I shoot the Encore a lot with a variety of barrels. Bottom line is that they are more accurate than most guys expect, they are reliable, they can be tuned up a bit (triggers), and they are very versatile shooting systems.

Suggest the T/C wrist band, get one and it fits onto the stock so you have two extra shots on the rifle when you are hunting.

Suggest the steel Warne made one piece base and epoxy the sucker in place, then you won't worry about the base again. We use Marine Tex for that, it is next to permanent.

Does your rifle have the Limbsaver recoil pad? If not, order one from T/C and replace it, they are amazing for recoil reduction. How did I figure that one out? Have an Encore in .416 Rigby, it is a hard kicker... Got some pre-fitted Limbsavers and they are easy to install.

Good luck with your new rifle. I also have a .300 Win. and you are right, they kick. Mine shoots around 1.0"-1.5" for five shots at 100, has done better with Black Hills Match ammo with 190 match bullets. Would hunt with them anytime.

A friend just made and installed some alluminum pillars for my forend, but so far we cannot find appropriate screws to re-attach the **** thing. Hoping to get better accuracy as he also put bedding compound in the forend to make it fit nice and even to the barrel.

Understand that you should never dry-fire an Encore, hard on them apparently. Do a search on T/C Encore and you will find some great info sites, some companies do a lot of aftermarket work on them.

Ian, do you think anyone will ever be crazy enough to hunt something as dangerous as a brown bear with an Encore?
smile.gif

Installed the LimbSaver recoil pad yesterday, you are right they do make a significant differance. I just ordered Leupold 1-piece base w/dovetail rings hoping that will cure the problem. Never thouhgt of "bedding" the fore-arm, but it does sound like a good idea. Gonna give it one more go when the new rings and bases get here, if it doesnt hold it'll be on the market. These guns are to expensive not to work WELL!

Len,
Hunting brown bear with an Encore makes for an adventure - BUT - you do not have to worry about jamming a magazine full of cartridges or the ejector not throwing a fired case clear - cause there ain't any
rolleyes.gif

We were blessed with an incredible hunt, two book-sized brownies taken with Encores, two stories for me to spin and as the outfitter said everyday with his guides - "Nobody gets hurt!" I am fortunate to be able to use the past tense - things could have got a little hairy but our side won. Story is coming out as a feature in the NRA's American Hunter first, then will be worked in some others for sure.

Crazyhorse , go to web page and get your self an oversized hinge pin and a set of trigger springs.

after working your trigger , replacing the hinge pin , then bed the forend so that the barrel is free floating except between the forend screws.

Thes three things will generaly cut your groups buy at least 30% usualy around 50-75%

Also , the Encore does not do much in the way of soaking up recoil so getting the LimbSaver pad is a very good idea.
I use VVCG bases and Tactical style rings on mine and alos expoxy them to the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.