Thompson Center Encore

RWE

Hello all, not sure where to put this but I thought that I would start here. Please let me know if another forum here would be beater.

A buddy bought a TC Encore .50 cal muzzle loader to "help a guy out". He would like to buy a centerfire rifle barrel (300WM for some dang reason) to shoot "long range." We are working on that definition for him but for this discussion let's say to 1,000 yards and caliber doesn't matter right now.

I did a quick google but old info, opinions did not seem "educated".... So, I thought I would bring this here as many of us start in one spot and end in others, having tried a lot of things. My question is to experienced folk - is the gun capable of precision or not? Is it worth buying the barrels or should he focus on a new gun altogether?

He is trying to dive in to LR (relative) and I am trying to ease him in, starting with fundamentals. Someone told him the barrels and triggers aren't very good he is losing faith before he starts. Having said that, I already looked into the Mcarbo trigger kit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The platform is more than capable of LR accuracy with the right barrel and some minor modifications. I'll preface by stating my experience is with early Encore, not the Pro Hunter. A trigger job is a given. I had Stratton Customs do trigger jobs on both my actions, but DIY kits are available. As for barrels, spend a bit more and go custom. Some guys get lucky with factory barrels, but most I know aren't happy with them. Highly recommend Match Grade Machine, but again there are lots of options. T/C is notorious for excessive headspace so you will likely need to shim the firing pin bushing, Mike Bellm sells a headspace gauge and shim kits. One of the bigger knocks on the platform is the way the fore end attaches to the barrel. I had Stratton install their hanger bar on each of my barrel and modify the the fore ends and it made a world of difference.

Agree with the above post. They can be finicky. However, trigger job, fore end hanger, match barrel and they usually shoot. I have a old 25-06. It shoots.

Bellm has parts and instructions for trigger jobs. If you are able to afford one, there are several manufacturers that offer match grade barrels and hanger systems (to free-float barrel) MGM and Bulberry are a couple that come to mind. I've had both in a Contender platform, and have had great results. The real drawback to the Encore is that every shot requires you to break the action, and re-position your sights...

Ok so I've got a pro hunter frame and several barrels. First and foremost is the said platform a fx model if so you can not change out the barrels . They look exactly the same but are a fixed combo. Almost bit on that one before I got an interchangeable barreled one . Something to check .
My pro hunter shoots very well with all but one of my barrels so far 4 out of 5 ain't bad and the barrel that's not shooting good may just need another bullet powder combo . I honestly haven't gave it a fair chance yet . As for shooting a 1000 yards I'd say yeah

Thanks all!

he picks it up tomorrow I think and will know more about model, etc. will advise!

All good recommendations, key is to isolate the forearm from barrel. Lots of ways to do it. Also recommend heavier hammer spring to increase hammer fall speed which is only way to improve lock time. Neck sizing and body die works best for me. They are lightweight rifles and in 300WM will rattle you good. Heavy calibers with muzzle breaks do seem to shoot better.

Last edited:
Thanks you all, had not thought about the hand guard/barrel (potential) issue. From the sounds of it I think he is looking to see how it shoots as a ML, then get a another center fire barrel, which I will recommend it be threaded for a brake!

You know, the older I get the more I like brakes - for recoil reduction sure but much more for being able to spot hits.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.