Encore

Denny L

I just got my first Pro Hunter frame. I am a Hoosier and wondering about recommendations for a deer set. Caliber, barrel source etc. I am new to forum and new to rifles in general.
Thanks

Hey,

A friend of mine had the .45/.410 barrel for it. FUN TO SHOOT!!:D

For deer I would suggest the .25-06. I have one (not a tc though) and even though I'm not the best shot I would feel confident out to 500yd.

P.S. do you reload?

I love mine. As far as barrels go I love my 28" 30-06 barrel for deer. But what you choose all depends on how you are going to use it. If you are not sure what you want get a couple different ones and try em out. If you don't like them you can normally get your money back as they don't really seem to lose value.

I have one in a 7-08 and have shot several deer and hogs with it.

I purchased a 6.5 x .284 barrel for it but have never put it on. It's a Bulberry with a muzzle brake. 23 1/2" supposedly shoots under 1/2 MOA. My 7-08 shoots 3/4 MOA out to 400 yards.

With some work you can tune up the trigger and make a couple other mods and have a real shooter.

Denny, tell us a little more about how you're going to use the rifle. Thick woods, open pastures, cedar swamps, bean fields all have different requirements if you're looking for the best caliber for the situation. Then again, if you're looking for a all-round gun that might bring different suggestions. Tell us more about how you deer hunt.
Nimrodmar10

You wanting to use it in IN? or somewhere else? Because your limited to whats legal in IN, I have a .358 BFG I use in IN, they recently changed the rules to brass length to 1.8" but the .358 BFG 1.8" produces too much presure in a encore frame so they won't chamber it. Too much frame stretch in testing. Easiest IN deer legal rifle to reload is the .358 hoosier. But if looking for a caliber to hunt else where, I would go a 7mm or 6.5 of some kind with the bergera barrel

I have been getting Encores to shoot well for about 10 years now. My best shooting two barrels are a T/c custom shop barrel and a Match Grade Machine. The custom shop barrel is in 6PPC and shoots .15"-.25" @ 100 yards. A trigger job is a must if you're going for top accuracy so if you're going to shoot it long range you will want it done.

Where are you going to hunt? In Indiana the rules dictate .357 min caliber case length no more than 1.8". Are you a hand loader? Do you want to mess with wildcats? Factory loaded ammo only would mean 357 Magnum, 44Magnum, or 460 S&W( 454 Casull, 45 Colt work in these also) - barrels available from T/C - the 44 Mag is done just about every year by dealers in Indiana as a special run from T/C or you can order from MGM. 357 Maximum is also a good choice but factory ammo is hard to find - if you reload brass is available sometimes hard to find but available - Mike Belm chambers Bugara barrels for the round and has brass available - MGM will also do a custom barrel for you. In Wildcats you have the 358 Hoosier or 358 WSSM (1.6) as alternatives. There are sources for loaded ammo AJ Brown for the Hoosier and Just Hunt for the WSSM - If you are after one of these best to get the barrel from the ammo source, of course if you reload the dies are available from Hornady on the Hoosier and Redding on the WSSM. Hope this answers your question.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.