How about a TC Encore?

ktms4me

So what do you guys think can a encore be a quality longrange rifle? I was shooting today, shot some 3 shot inch and half groups At 100 yds with factory ammo. Do you think it's worth trying to really tune it in? Mine is in 280 Rem.

I have a 7-08 Encore and have done a few things to it. I have done the trigger so it is so smooth it compares with my Jewel. I put the oversized hinge pin and now I am working up loads.

So far I have a load that shoots right at an inch at a hundred every time. I have shot a few groups under 1/2" at 100 but I am still trying to get it a little better. It is a hunting rifle and I have shot two Whitetail in Wisconsin and a hog in California.

I shot it over the chronograph this weekend and the load varies to much so that is why I am seeing groups not being consistent. I am headed for new primers and more evaluation.

To answer your question I think the encore can produce some good groups if you do a few things to it. It would depend on what you consider long range. It appears with my work so far that it would be very effective out to 400 to 500 yards.

SQ, That's about what I was thinking as fas as range. I put a different trigger spring in mine.But i gonna work on it some more. I like the concept of the rifle,I just think single shots are cool! I have a 700 BDL in a 280 also,that I reload for. I hav'nt shot any reloads thru the Encore yet. gun)

Go to this page Bellm TCs, Inc. - FREE Encore Trigger job instruction download and download the trigger job instructions. It is really easy to make the trigger really good. Use a really light stone or buy his and you will be surprised at the quality of the trigger.
How does your BDL shoot?
I am thinking of a 280 AI or a 7mm SAUM build his year and I am having a hard time deciding.

Actually my 700 is a mountain rifle with the small barrel but it shoots great!
Usually 5 shots in a dime,unless I do something wrong.But it has good wood, and I like the way the Encore feels and not having to worry about scratching it.
I put 1 of Mike Bellm spring's in my encore,But I am going to polish the other parts and see how good it will get.
He really talks up the 280ai,in fact he had a 280ai barrel for sale the other day,I seriously considered it. He said you can buy new 280AI brass from Nosler,so you wouldn't have to make your own.
Do you get his newsletter?
It's real good for learning from him,I would say He's quite the expert on TC's!!

The Encore is a fine rifle and is capible of some outstanding accuracy.

one thing that is critical with the Encore though is how you shoot it off the bench , forend placement has to be very consistant or our changing the harmonics of the barrel , you realy should bed the forend so that its making contact only between the forend screws after this if its at all possible let the forend only touch the bags from the front screw to the end where the barrel is now free floated , this wll give you very repeatable harmonics. Shooting with a Harris Bi-Pod also works very well.

Mike Bellm is THE man to talk to about the Encore and his instruction on the trigger job are great , just make sure that you take your time and stone the engagements slowly , better to take the thing apart half a dozen times testing it than to screw up and change the geometery or remove to much

I still bed them and actualy make little aluminum pillers. I like the idea of their being a solid part to fit against the barrel , is it needed , most likely not but its one less thing for me to worry over , I have OCD and things like that wil drive me nuts.

I use Playdough to build little dams to keep the bedding compound from migrating where its not needed. Make sure that you use planty of release agent on the barrel lug and front of the frame in case any works its way out , also its a good iead to put release agent all on the inside of the areas you don't want it , makes it alot easier to get out later.

On the synthetic forends on guns where a little exta weight isin't gonna be a problem I fill the entire forend with compound to stiffen it up , just use 3-4 stripps of duct tape on top one another to make a gap ahead of the forend screws

Could you post a picture of the bedding job?
Or email me a couple.
I have cut everything loose under the stock except for where the two pillars touch. This is my first Encore so I am learning as I go.
Thanks - Steve

Could you post a picture of the bedding job?
Or email me a couple.
I have cut everything loose under the stock except for where the two pillars touch. This is my first Encore so I am learning as I go.
Thanks - Steve

Yes, I would like to learn to pillar bed em myself......
I got a Encore with the ML barrel and a 22-250 ProHunter barrel right now.

I am thinking of getting a 7mm or .300 Win next just trying to figure out if I spend the extra $300 on a "custom" barrel vs. a Prohunter or TC Custom Shop if it is "really" necassary or needed.

I have an Encore in .243AI with a Bullberry barrel. 26" long, .850" at the muzzle and 1 in 14 twist. It prints 1/4" to 3/16" five round groups (@4350fps w/ 55 BTs) if I do my part. The stock set came from gunstocksinc.com and is the Stinger in brown laminate. I had to cut the barrel channel to fit the barrel diameter and route out the place for the Bullberry hanger bar.... Well worth the effort for a gun that looks and shoots great.

Coyoter

Worth a shot, my buddy has a bone stock prohunter in .300 win mag that if he does his job will consistantly shoot a wollowed out one hole group the size of my pinky finger nail with factory hornady ammo out of a leadsled

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.