synthectic stock pref

BRrooster

I am thinking of replacing the stock on an M77, and was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations. Its a 7mm mag. The original wood stock is or seems just slightly low for a good "cheek fit". Well.... for the way I hold it.
I also dont have enough room to put my scope covers on the scope, as they
get jammed between the barrell and the scope. Maybe Ill have to go to higher rings also.
cheers
bruce
whats your preference and why?

Last edited:
As for the scope covers, try bikini or trim the part of the cover that slips over the reticle.

DO NOT let it touch your barrel though.

I don't recommend using higher rings unless you have no other choice tho.

I was actually referring to the "something else," but since you asked... anything.. no matter how soft or pliable, that touches a barrel on a wood-stocked rifle can cause warp over time.

TEX

Thanks for your response. My bikini cover was contacting the barrel but I use mostly synthetic stocks. However, I did cut the bottom of the cover to avoid contact. Just makes sense in my opinion. Makes sense but I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
Doug in AK

I am thinking of replacing the stock on an M77, and was wondering if anyone has any reccomendations. Its a 7mm mag. The original wood stock is or seems just slightly low for a good "cheek fit". Well.... for the way I hold it.
I also dont have enough room to put my scope covers on the scope, as they
get jammed between the barrell and the scope. Maybe Ill have to go to higher rings also.
cheers
bruce
whats your preference and why?

I have the same issue with classic style stocks(Straight with no cheek piece and most of the
time they have no cast.

Some of the factory stocks have a check piece but it is no higher than the classic design.

I have to use a stock with a Monte Carlo check piece because it is the highest of all designs,
looks good and raises the head high enough for the 50+mm scopes and normally has
about a 1/2 inch of cast.

For bad weather like most of the time in Alaska I would recommend the laminates or the
composite stock because of stability.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.