Swar. tds-4 recticle questions

summitsitter

A buddy of mine jsut bought the new swaroski. I think it is the PVI-5 withe the tds-4 recticle. After shooting it yesterday we have a few questions. This scope is a 6-24( I belive) x 56. If you are going to use the other lines on the recticle do you have to sight the gun in at 24x and then find out at what distance the lines hit the target at. And then anytime you shoot the lines you have to have the scope on 24x for the bullet to hit in the same spot vertically. Reason I'm asking is cause when you zoom in or out the lines move on the target. the center dot stays at your aiming point but the other lines below it will eventually end up off the paper if you zoom out enough. This is hard for me to explain I hope yall understand what I'm talking about..

If you go over to Swarovski's web site Here you will find a TDS calculator. Enter your information and you will be all set (or pretty close). You will need a valid serial number.

I believe you can make a chart for whatever power you want.

Your zero will stay the same for every power setting. You'll have to make the proper chart for the power setting you want. You should be able to make multiple charts without re zeroing. I suggest verification of those charts though.

so it does huh

So it does actually make a difference as to what power your useing at to where you hit using the lines?

Yes, with exception of your zero.

Those scopes are second focal plane. If they were first focal plane it wouldn't matter what power you were on.

You can call Swarovski and get the measurements for the cross hairs at various powers. That way any ballistics program can work.

NOw all TDS are set up on the same measurements. I have a 3-9 Kahles TDS and here they are at 9x which is the highest power. Note all TDS are set measurements at the highest power. so you 24x would be the same as my 9x

first is 2" below zero crosshair.

second is 4.8"

third is 7.5"

fourth is 10.5'

6X they are as follows

first is 3"

second is 7.2"

third is 11.25"

Fourth is 15.75"

BH

Bounty Hunter not all TDS reticles are the same. The TDS plex differs from the TDS-4.

TDS-4 at 100 yards
Line 1(below center)=1.8"
Line 2= 4.7"
Line 3= 8.0"
Line 4= 12.0"
Theres not a whole lot of difference until you get to the 4th line but it will be the one used at 500 yards and longer on most rifles which will make a big difference.

David

BH the TDS-4 was available in the 1st or 2nd FP . It used to be available in the 2nd plane in the AV series of Swarovski scopes but I think they are TDS plex now. The 2 reticles are not same in either plane. I have an AV 4x12 and I decided to check it against a target marked in inches at a 100 yards. All the lines appeared to be correct with what the paper work said they should be except the last hash mark. I emailed Swarovski and they sent me the correct info for TDS-4. The scope had been shipped with TDS plex info.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.