grouping questions

marcm1

Hello,
Ok just getting back to doing some shooting been a few years actually, I had Alamo just build me a 6.5 prc, 24" 1-8 proof barrel, medium lone peak ti action, tt special trigger, hawkins bottom metal, mcmillian APR stock, zeiss precision rings, zeiss v6 3-18x50 scope, My first custom gun!
I did barrel break in and now working up some loads, this is 56 grains of H1000, Lapua brass, Berger Elite hunter 156 gr, cci mag primer load. My question is with the way the grouping is I'm taking it that the group would be smaller but I need to work on my trigger control a bit more that I'm probably the one causing the 4 shots to open up??
The high shot was the first one out of the clean barrel then the next four settled in.
Thanks for any feedback, not the tightest group but for first out of the box in a long bit I'm happy I think!!
Thanks for feedback! Also shot off sandbags.
Marc

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 128
Looks
Hello,
Ok just getting back to doing some shooting been a few years actually, I had Alamo just build me a 6.5 prc, 24" 1-8 proof barrel, medium lone peak ti action, tt special trigger, hawkins bottom metal, mcmillian APR stock, zeiss precision rings, zeiss v6 3-18x50 scope, My first custom gun!
I did barrel break in and now working up some loads, this is 56 grains of H1000, Lapua brass, Berger Elite hunter 156 gr, cci mag primer load. My question is with the way the grouping is I'm taking it that the group would be smaller but I need to work on my trigger control a bit more that I'm probably the one causing the 4 shots to open up??
The high shot was the first one out of the clean barrel then the next four settled in.
Thanks for any feedback, not the tightest group but for first out of the box in a long bit I'm happy I think!!
Thanks for feedback! Also shot off sandbags.
Marc
Looks like its going too be a shooter I really like my 6.5 prc have 2 of them

A couple of thoughts and just my personal opinion. That high first shot may be cold barrel or cold shooter. I've found doing a little dry firing once I'm set up seems to solve a lot of the cold. barrel woes. To me, I would keep reloading as you are for now and put in some trigger time. If you can keep the groups this tight consistently, then go back and do a seating test.

Nice rifle!! I've had trouble with the cold shooter syndrome. Keep working with it.

What sort of load development process have you done so far?

That group is why I prefer to shoot at 200 yards, if my scope and conditions allow,so it opens up more and I can actually see the difference between loads and I don't have to futs around trying to fine tune the one I think/thought was the best

I have only used h1000, read alot of articles and alot have posted that they all seemed to get a really good group around that 56 gr mark, I then went by bergers vld rec, and loaded 5 loads 10 off riflings, 30 off, 50 off 90 off and then 130 off. I got the best group from those at the 10 off. So i loaded up this group of five and test shot the other evening at 8 pm still light out here in ga. I had cleaned the barrel while at home also. But yes more than likely first shot was me. I've been out of the shooting game for about two years have daughters and been involved in their projects and sports. Fatherinlaw and business partner passed away last year from leukemia and his he was going to build this rifle after he got better and we would get back to doing some shooting but that didnt work out.
So I sold 2 coopers I had in gun safe and built this one in his honor and its going to be my forever gun for doing most all my shooting from now on.
Really like the 156 gr and primers are getting flattended alittle but not bad, dug my pact proffesional crony out of the dust pile and I'm loading up another 10 rds and going to see what speed I'm at.
I do appreciate all imput and I think this load is a keeper but just working cob webs out of my finger!! LOL
Thanks again
Marc

Also what is a seating test???

The high shot was out of a CLEAN barrel? That's just a fouling shot, and also the reason the next four stacked in there. You're load and shooting is fine. Next time shoot the fouling shot out of the group. BUT, if it's a dirty "cold bore" shot, that needs to be documented. Leave the barrel dirty for the next shooting session and see where that first shot hits. A fouling shot (this first 1 or 2 shots out of a clean barrel) hardly ever land in the group. Close to the group, but hardly ever in the group.

Did you only shoot one group? Shoot more, it'll get better.
I shot 5 loads per rifle setting off riflings as berger suggested and this one did best,
Will still fine tune just got to get my shooting up to speed so I know it's the load and not me

Last edited: