Which recticle ??

300shooter

well,for the hunting you are planning I would go with a Leupold with a std.Duplex as you will be looking into a dark areas, and this will be easier to see then. Plus on the late evenings and earier mornings the Std Duplex works great.

and thats whay I am using on my 300 winny also.
grin.gif

300shooter

You might like one of those Leupold Lit reticle scopes.

That little illuminated cross is very interesting, especially if you are shooting into dark holes.

D.
smile.gif

Reticle_Illum_Duplex.gif

This will be my first elk hunt. Ive hunted for many years but have never been to Colorado before Elk hunting .Which recticle should I get regardless of the scope. Fine ,Dot, , HEAVY Balistic, ??? The scope prob be a Burris ,Leupold or Zeiss in the 40/50 mm class in a 4.5 to 14 power.They all are good for certain conditions but need a all purpose reticle. I quess Ill be hunting the high country and dark blowdown areas.You guys have been there what do recomend. Thx

Standard duplex has worked great for me. Not to heavy for fine work and not to hard to see in failing light. I've been using a 4.5-14 Leupold for several years. It's a good all around product that has helped me take several bulls. Good luck and enjoy your hunt!!

MARCUSW2...FOR THE MONEY, A LIT RETICLE WILL LET YOU SEE A PRECISE SPOT ON AN ANIMAL IN SHADOW OR FAILING LIGHT. A NON-ILLUMINATED RETICLE WILL DISAPPEAR ON ITS HIDE. A HIGHER POWER SCOPE WILL ALSO HELP POSITIVELY IDENTIFY AND SCORE AN ANIMAL IN DECENT LIGHT, BUT WILL WASH OUT AT THE HIGHER POWERS IN POOR LIGHT.( NEEDS TO BE A VARIABLE). WATCH FOR LEGAL SHOOTING HOURS, AND BE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF YOUR TARGET IN POOR LIGHT.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.