grouping questions

Try a few round right at the lands. If it likes .010 off it might really like .001
I would not do this. What's the benefit? What's your hit probability difference at 1000 yards between a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA and 1/10 MOA? Wind eats up that difference exponentially more. All that your asking for is a round to get stuck and ruin your hunt.

I shot 5 loads per rifle setting off riflings as berger suggested and this one did best,
Will still fine tune just got to get my shooting up to speed so I know it's the load and not me
In my experience, horizontal stringing is small errors in shooter technique.
The biggest improvement you will see in your group is when you keep the stock square with your shoulders and tuck the stock butt into the recess in your shoulder.

I would not do this. What's the benefit? What's your hit probability difference at 1000 yards between a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA and 1/10 MOA? Wind eats up that difference exponentially more. All that your asking for is a round to get stuck and ruin your hunt.
I didn't say jamb it! If is just touching and he has .003 of neck tension it will not get stuck. I just did what I suggested and shot a less than 5" group at 955 yards. I had the bullet .005 off before and had a 13" groups. You asked why? Well, Brian Litz wrote about the why and how. Read up on it ya might change your groups too.

I hear what your saying but he's just getting into reloading. No question it works for some rifles, but it's pretty easy to be even 10 thou into the lands when you're working that close and not know it. If the neck tension is slightly different or the ductility in the neck of one case is different and you get seating depth variation you can easily get a bullet stuck.

That said, you can shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1000 and without being that close. I've shot a few 7"-10" groups at 1350 and that cartridge is jumping 40 thou. Erik Cortina feels the same way and he starts at ~20 thou off.

I hear what your saying but he's just getting into reloading. No question it works for some rifles, but it's pretty easy to be even 10 thou into the lands when you're working that close and not know it. If the neck tension is slightly different or the ductility in the neck of one case is different and you get seating depth variation you can easily get a bullet stuck.

That said, you can shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1000 and without being that close. I've shot a few 7"-10" groups at 1350 and that cartridge is jumping 40 thou. Erik Cortina feels the same way and he starts at ~20 thou off.
Eric Cortina doesn't even know where his lands are? He uses the Jam Method. I started doing the same thing. Jam the bullet, and start 50 thou off. The bullet doesn't get stuck by simply touching or even being slightly into the lands. The neck tension is far greater than the slight touching of the lands. I totally agree that you don't have to be close to the lands to shoot a tight group. But you also don't even need to know where they are to not get a bullet stuck. Jam is where the bullet sticks.

I would disregard the cold/clean for now. Once you get a few more rounds on it, and your confidence in the load, then you will want to map the cold/clean and cold/dirty for consistency.

I may try this for seating based on your group. It may just suck them in tighter.
Load .010" (because you have that now as a start point and to foul if cleaned), .001" .003", .007", off the lands and see how it does. I prefer to move away from the lands if possible. Depends on how your .020" shot.

OR you could take the furthest you jumped and then seat deeper and try similar if it showed promise, but I would first explore the above.

***Also remember you are shooting an 8 twist, low elevation, high humidity. My SAUM and 6.5x284N both with 8 twist wasn't super crazy about the 156, but it drove nails with the 140. I am in Virginia so similar conditions.

Last edited:
I have a couple boxes of 140 elite hunters should try them? I also have h4831 sc and retumbo too
Shoot some groups dude. Your 156's looked pretty **** good for coming out of a clean barrel, or just in general. If you WANT to switch bullets, do so. But not for accuracy reasons.

My proof barrel shoots the 156EOL best at .010" off too. You're group is fine and doesn't appear to need anything. Shoot at longer ranges to see how it groups at hunting distances.

You "may" want to experiment with a non-mag primer. Most PRC shooters use standard LR primers in their PRC rifles. It's worth a try.