Surpised

I would also like to see everyone fill in their bio info, it is nice to see where you are from to help in understanding your views.

Scott

I know someone made a Google search page for the hide and it works much better than their standard search option. Maybe someone could get this done for LRH!

We have been attempting to do that here but have hit a wall for now. It was up for a week but would only return 1 result.

Meanwhile, here's a secret. In your Google search try:

site:longrangehunting.com yoursearchterm

I don't use Google, political reasons, can you suggest a different browser.
When I typed "site:longrangehunting.com yoursearchterm:" in ASK it came up empty.

padd54, Try "Bing", not that there are not "political" issues there, but at least they are into as much as Google.

Good advice on everyone filling in their bio info. I'm guilty of that myself..... mine is pretty thin.

I don't use Google, political reasons, can you suggest a different browser.
When I typed "site:longrangehunting.com yoursearchterm:" in ASK it came up empty.

Did you really type in Longrangehunting.com yoursearchterm????
What you need to do is type in longrangehunting.com 338 Edge or whatever you are searching for. I tried on ask.com and got back a lot of results.

Scott
We have been attempting to do that here but have hit a wall for now. It was up for a week but would only return 1 result.

Meanwhile, here's a secret. In your Google search try:

site:longrangehunting.com yoursearchterm

Len,

It is duly noted that you have picked up on the "search engine" issue well before it became a common point in this thread.

Its good to see that you are continuing to build your dream and make your living room as comfortable as possible.

You commended for your diligence!

I tried your search term idea and once I entered "my search term:)" tons of result appeared.

It would be better, however, if 'all' results could be limited to LRH.com topics.

Keep at it. You'll get it one of these first days.........

Thank you for your site.

If you type in the line below all you will get is results found on LongRangeHunting.com You will see that every result is related to LongRangeHunting.com. In place of "Idaho" you can put any search words you want and the result will be for those words only on LRH.

site:longrangehunting.com Idaho

As you can see from my start date I have been on here a long time. It used to be that I could not get all the posts read that had really good info in them that interested me due to time constraints. Any more I do not get all the posts I want to read read due to having to look through all the posts that look interesting but after looking at them I find them of no use. Yes some will find them of use but dang there can only be so many posts about which is the best neck turner without repeating yourself. Seems like some questions are asked and some answered just so we can say I have a POST. :) I sure don't fit that one with the number of posts I have do I. :) This place has been the best site I have found for the info I look for to date. Not all the time the exact info but if you don't find it someone will post a link to it. I just wish one thing. That some would do more reading before posting. I will bet there are already at least 10 posts with the same question already on here. Just READ. I also have noticed that there seems to be a few trolls popping up here and there. Really nasty ones. I used to be a mod on another site and would delete posts like that as not being relative to the question. Kind of shuts them up quick. Can't stop it completely but can make them go away and mess with another site. Oh well, like Kirby this is just me ranting for a bit. Still love the site and spend way too many hours here reading.

Guys this thread has been very interesting. I agree that sometimes members post information that is not correct. I'd say that if we read something that is known to be false or unsafe then I'd expect someone to respond so that a lot of people don't go down the wrong road.

What we must remember is that most of what we perceive as problems on this site are the results of a site that has grown by leaps and bounds. Some have said that the same questions get asked over and over and, although that may be true, I'd ask that you consider something.

Let's say that "way back when" LRH had a dozen members and they knew each other and had knowledge of everything each member did, shot, wanted, reloaded for or wanted to buy. Thus, after they had discussed what was the best long range scope, the subject never came up again because they had already discussed it. Now let's say that the membership expanded to 24 members and a couple of them wanted to know "what was the best long range scope". A discussion may not have come up because the thread and post count was very small and simply searching or looking around was easy.

Now that LRH has a membership of almost 32,000 can you see how the new members show up in rapidly increasing numbers and how easy it is for the same "newby" question to get asked over and over? For those of us that have been here a long time and read most, if not all, of the threads/posts, we have seen the "what is the best long range scope" question come up a thousand times but a new member that is just thinking about getting his first gun has never read it and quite innocently asks the simple question, "What is the best long range scope"? We have seen it a thousand times but he has never seen the question before. He wants an answer because he is so excited to get his first gun and we get irritated because we see the question come up AGAIN.

The longer you are a member of LRH the more this "problem" of the repeated posts will appear to you. The newer a member you are, the more likely you are to ask a question without giving it any thought. There is no way around the fact that some questions will be asked repeatedly until either hell freezes over or "royinidaho" has all of the guns he could ever want. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you see info that is posted and is definitely wrong then step up and say something. Also try to back up your statements with facts, data and pictures if possible. And, try to remember that the longer you are a member of LRH the more likely you are to see your personal pet peeve list of questions get longer and longer. Patience grasshopper, patience :)

I understand perfectly what your saying but sometimes. :)
Its like today, I'm reading away and I read this.

Hunting is about one cold bore shot, or perhaps two, that's all. The group stuff is for paper punchers and techies.

Nothing against the guy and I'm not singling him out as I am sure he believes what he said and maybe its just the comment but I'm sorry, for me to get to the point I'm at it took lots and lots of paper punching and techie stuff to get there. Otherwise I called it Shoot and Pray not Long Range Hunting.
There have been and still are so many people all the way from techie guys that write computer programs that can give you your drops at any range as long as you input the right info. People that can build a rifle using the most exacting tolerances that have posted good info on whats really happening when I pull the trigger that have allowed me to get to the point that I can make shots that I could not of made 10 years ago except by accident.
Its really interesting to see though how many people find Long Range Hunting and makes you wonder why they come here. Maybe it is because their buddy hangs here and they come to see what he finds here and stick around for a while even though they don't care if they can hit a something at 1000 yards or further.
I suppose to keep getting new people all the time though there has to be something for everyone. Oh well, back to the weeding out the good posts.

Bill-------the comment about groups being for other than a nice to have has a serious flaw. If you are shooting long range and if you have to take another shot then your argument has no merit. For example if your velocity runs 3200 on your first shot an then 3275 for the second shot at long distance will have vertical dispersion that will be considerable no matter what pill you are sending down the tube.

Long range shooting is all about consistency not just in your equipment but the trigger pullers skill in executing the firing process the same way every time. Reading condition is a whole different subject.

I understand perfectly what your saying but sometimes. :)
Its like today, I'm reading away and I read this.

Hunting is about one cold bore shot, or perhaps two, that's all. The group stuff is for paper punchers and techies.

Nothing against the guy and I'm not singling him out as I am sure he believes what he said and maybe its just the comment but I'm sorry, for me to get to the point I'm at it took lots and lots of paper punching and techie stuff to get there. Otherwise I called it Shoot and Pray not Long Range Hunting.

Ya know... a lot of stuff that gets posted here comes under the heading of "subjective opinion", like "which is the best......?" and the example you provide. Subjective statements are always going to be made, and IMO, there's nothing really wrong about it unless the statement is really out to lunch. It's part of why this site exists as a place for "discussion". Folks come here to conect and "shoot the breeze", and in the process some really good info can be shared, or some not so good info. You just gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.

Oh.... and I agree with you... it's the techy stuff and paper punching that get's me to the point where i can make the cold bore shot :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.