Surpised

" I hate to say it but it appears to be slipping toward something like 24hourcampfire which is something that I am sure none of us want to turn into."

AMEN & AMEN & AMEN

I have been cautioning about this for over a year but no one seemingly listens. As the site expands beyond the LRH boundaries to bowhunting spearchucking turkeygobbling and flyfishing the quality will deteriorate. I'm glad others are noticing too. Apparently the owners are not, as the forum choices are expanding to include all non LRH stuff.

It wont be long the manhunters and cookiebakers and kidsandcolds crowd from Huntingnet.com will drift in here and we'll all be sunk...

Ok, I must of been having a bad couple days. :) I'm over it. I have probably been on this site longer than any single site I have ever been on and learned a lot being here. For a long time the flood of info and the advancements in idea's was huge and advanced me down the road a long way to where I am at today. I'm going to fade back into the shadows and try my best to learn more but spend a lot more time using the things I have learned and quit worrying.

Silvertip

but no one seemingly listens

Apparently the owners are not, as the forum choices are expanding to include all non LRH stuff.

I like most of your posts but some of them are mildly abrasive. I'm sure you realize that. But fear not as SOMEONE IS LISTENING.

If you ever get to the point where you just can't stand to be here any more we'll all suck it up and try our best to go on in life without you. :)

Most of the 'old timers' (who will all remain nameless) that use to hang out here dont anymore. 7 or 8 years ago there was a wealth of knowledge to be learned by some very well established long range match and benchrest shooters. It is sad because I learned so much from them. Now you have to take most of what is said with a grain of salt. There are a hand full of guys left here that I will eagerly see what they posted but for the most part, I will pass on many posts. There are still some guys here that are a wealth of knowledge and only post once every blue moon. I am not complaining since I would rather have it once in a blue moon versus not at all. Unfortunately some of what is said is tainted with money making in mind by buisness driven folks. Over the last 4 or 5 years I find myself coming and going. Often times during a deep snow winter, I find myself spending more time on the computer and less time at the range.

Montana Rifleman hit the nail on the head when he brought up subjective terms. When someone asks the question what is the best this or what is the best that, one can only answer to what is the best for him. That doesnt make it the best for the next guy even though many feel that because it is the best for them then it must be best for everybody.

Some have left on their own accord and others have been removed. Either way, it isnt what it use to be. :(

M

Last edited:
Michael, I am just a newby here, and in the short time I can relate to where you are coming from. I also think as the #'s grow that there is more "static" to sift threw.But I also think there is some good talent here,that is not always noticed. I am not naming either, but a poster pm me and I related that his groups for range where remarkable. And I a little questioning , since my friend is a world record holder multiple times. Turns out he is a benchshooter also , and has been busy breaking 4 records himself and knows my buddy, small world.

Most of the 'old timers' (who will all remain nameless) that use to hang out here dont anymore. 7 or 8 years ago there was a wealth of knowledge to be learned by some very well established long range match and benchrest shooters.....

Some have left on their own accord and others have been removed. Either way, it isnt what it use to be. :(

M

Things never remain static... everything is always changing, but I can relate to a lot of what you said as far as some where trends seem to be going.

A lot of what transpires in here is subjective opinion, anecdotal and theory :D but there is still some good solid information being put forward. There's been a lot of great developments in rifles, bullets, range finding, etc., in just the last year.

It is what is and we make it what it is. gun)

First off, I want to make the point that I am not directing this in any specific direction but I have spend a couple days reading over alot of posts here on LRH and have to say something.

I have not been on here nearly as much as I used to be. Just not enough time with the work load in the shop. Can not complain about that.

Several years ago, LRH seemed to be THE place to go for long range shooting and hunting advice. I have been reading over the past couple evenings just trying to catch up a bit and see whos around and I have to say, I have been really suprised.

Alot of the advice being given now on LRH seems to be based more in opinion now days then in actual fact and experience from those that have been out there, did the testing and record the actual results. Used to be if someone recommended something on LRH, it was based on fact and actual field testing and that those results could be backed up with records of those tests.

I guess the reason for this post is simply to recommend that if you reply to a posters question, please have the experience and data to back up your advice. There are alot of new members here on Longrangehunting.com and I have seen alot of recommendations that simply not up to the quality of LRH.

I hate to say it but it appears to be slipping toward something like 24hourcampfire which is something that I am sure none of us want to turn into.

Again, when a question is asked, if your going to asnwer or reply, just make sure you know what your talking about with actual experience. I realize this is how we all learn but people come to this site to learn and when they get a reply that has incorrect information that they take as fact when in reality its simply someones opinion from reading the gun rags or other computer media.

If you have experience, please offer a reply, if you do not, just hold off.

Again, not pointing to anyone inspecific direction with this, just a shout out to everyone, alot of new guys are depending on your replies, make sure they are factually based and not opinion.

I may **** some off with this post but do not intend to do that at all. We just need to keep LRH the valuable resource its always been. Its always been a special place to come to and learn from those that have and those that do so that others can become the ones that have and do. We do not want to become the board of those that "Sit and Read and Spout" instead of those that "Do, test and report"!

Nuff said from me, just had to vent a bit.

Maybe you should stick around more and make sure all questions are answered with data that meets your standards...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.