Surpised

One thing i would also like to note, I hav'nt been here long, but have learned a ton. At what point did people forget how the use the search function? Honestly, in the last 2 weeks has anyone notice the massive amounts of thread on vortex viper versus VX-3, SIII etc? Or which .338 is the best, i mean really?? OR, who has the best scope mounts/ring? Come on now. Use the search function for Christ sake!! Rant over, sorry. :)

I don't really have much to say about the meaning of this post because I have once before posted something kirby has told me instead of testing it myself( just trying to save people from wasting money)but I will say that I really enjoy reading post from kirby as well and I wish you had more time to inform us with your knoledge, im a roofing contracter and just moved to helena montana from florida 8 months ago, and im only 19 years old and dont know anybody hereand im not like many people ive met in this town that like to play video games all day so i shoot what guns i do have alot so i thought why not start shooting long range?I basically moved here to hunt and was directed to this site from google where somebody directed me to kirby for a custom rifle build so I basically read everysingle one of his 5000+ post. On here until my computer broke because it couldent handle it anymore,,. So basically im trying to say kirby, im with all the people that wish you had to inform us with the stuff im sure you learn everyday and would like to personally thank you for taking your time to answer all 14 million of my questions and im looking forward to have millons of rifle built by you .oh and I REALLY miss alot of post where you show us pics of rifles being shipped!!!!!( just thought id throw that in there)

I haven't been on this site for very long or even been around long range shooting much, I do appreciate this site and have been impressed with the general lack of bs here. I have seen threads get a little heated but for the most part once heads had time to cool things were back to being civil among the participants. There are many very knowledgeable people on this site and I have learned some valuable information and I, for one, would hate to see things go the way they have on some sites that I have been a part of.

Gus

Good post Kirby. It is a very good thing to keep stated info in check. I only try to post what I have learned in the field with my own long range shooting. But if you, or anyone for that matter, ever think my info could be off please address me. Maybe I will learn from it.

Thanks

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lightbulb

Great post Kirby! You certainly identified a trend that has started here on LRH. It's pretty easy to pick out the trollers, They are the ones that resort to calling people names and deriding their obvious knowledge. Some of the new folks may not know that you NEVER post opions, unless you identify with "in my opinion". Your conclusions have always been arrived at using tests and record keeping. Your conclusions may not always agree with someone else's but so what, that is how we learn. As RDM416 said, please post as often as possible, BUT not at the expense of my 338AX! :D Dont let any of the naysayers get to ya. The LRH family knows the difference between the wheat and the chaff. Thanks for all your contributions....
now get busy!!!!!

Jim

I really want to stress that I do not hold anyone above anyone else. I have tried hard to treat everyone as equals, as have nearly everyone I know here on LRH. That is what made it the site it is, the members that come here to visit.

We have had some knock down drag outs, believe me I have been in my fair share. There have been some topics that have required the old Nuke button to be pushed to stop things but in all reality, that has been a relatively rare thing.

I also do not want to intimidate ANYONE, from joining or posting on LRH. That is in no way my intent. As mentioned, I would like to see the search function used more often but as members get more proficent with what can be done here on LRH, that happens more and more. Not only does it clean up the list of topics, it offers the member a VAST amount of topic specific information that they can learn on their own and just make them a more rounded student of long range shooting and hunting which what we ALL are.

Some of us are Freshmen, some are under grads, some are grads, some are masters, some are Doctors, we all are learning every time we go out shooting. Everyone has always been welcome here on LRH with open arms as long as they are respectul to others. Hell, even guys that do not have a clue have been welcomed and then we just try to pound the trueth into them:D.

My point is simply that we all can have things to offer to this big family but its easy to get into that craze where someone hears something and tells someone else and before you know it its spreading across the web like wildfire and if that is the case, it MUST be fact.

Those of us that are long in the tooth members of LRH have a responsibility to keep an eye out for bad advice and respectfully correct it when we see it. Not to prove ourselves as RIGHT, but to protect new members from bad advice. That is my only point for this post and I have decided to try to make a point to TROLL LRH more often.

I am certainly not the end all of information but I have done a thing or two that is related to long range shooting and hunting, I have reloaded a few rounds in my lifetime, built a couple rifles that shot alright and if my experience is associated with a topic posted, I will offer what I can and I know all of you will only add to that which is what makes LRH great, the vast amount of experience on here. We do not just talk for the most part. We do and then report, that is what makes us different.

Lets keep doing that and stay different!!!

Kirby---I agree and would ask that posters use the SEARCH function because the threads that start with "How do I break in my new so and so rifle" I do not even open.

Kirby---I agree and would ask that posters use the SEARCH function because the threads that start with "How do I break in my new so and so rifle" I do not even open.

+1, so many great threads from the past covered so many great topics and discussions, that it seems like rehashing it wouldn't do justice to the information that is already in the archives of this site.

Some days when I'm bored I like to reread the old post that were "Knock down drag outs" and chuckle a little.:)

We could print a hundred novels just by taking our old posts and combining them in a book. Maybe we could then all get some royalties off from the book sales.

Call it something like, "Rants from the long range hunting crowd!!!:D

Coyboy,
Just to let you know and the other few people that brought up the search button, Im sure I've asked questions that have already been asked many times on this site and it is because since my computer broke I follow the threads on my droid x and for some reason when I try to use the search button it will not work it automatically closes the window. Just thouugh id throw that out there just in case I am not the only one that this happens to.

Coyboy,
Just to let you know and the other few people that brought up the search button, Im sure I've asked questions that have already been asked many times on this site and it is because since my computer broke I follow the threads on my droid x and for some reason when I try to use the search button it will not work it automatically closes the window. Just thouugh id throw that out there just in case I am not the only one that this happens to.

understood, the search function is not perfect even if it is available. I was looking for loads for a certain cartrige just the other day and it would not search the cartrige nomenclature.

I'm very new to computers, so if my skills, or etiquette isn't up to standards, single me out-I am teachable. I can't speak to how it was here being new-and this is the first time I've ever associated with a site so I can't really compare. With the cost of equipment and the state of the economy I can see folks trying to get as much info as possible before leaping. I can see if someone bought the only "bad" $2000 scope a manufacturer ever delivered that person may be a bit passionate on the subject. With wait times for those of us not doing it ourselves as long as they are, fixing a mistake (caliber choice etc.) sharing those insecurities in the present, may be irritating to those in the been there done that group. That said-a very good post by a respected veteran with the stature required to make it. Thank you I'll take it to heart.
I can verify spring fever's had me a bit on "edge". (no criticism of any caliber implied) It's supposed to be fun right?

Well Kirby,

I followed followed the "80 gr Berger on elk" debate. I headed here to express some of the same opinions that you beat me too.

One thing I noticed is the amount of "pot stirring" that has shown up lately. I'm not complaining about healthy debate, or some one disagreeing based on opinion or personal experience. I'm surprised at the amount of high school "challenges" and smart *** remarks as of late. Is it just me?

I found this sight and loved the information, atmosphere and peoples willingness to help even if I asked a stupid question. There was no ridicule, name calling or BS, just an honest, repectfull answer.

Perhaps Len and ss7mm (did I get that right?) can get some tougher rules together for this kind of thing? A warning system, then a ban?

This is a great site. Lets keep it that way.

understood, the search function is not perfect even if it is available. I was looking for loads for a certain cartrige just the other day and it would not search the cartrige nomenclature.

I have had issues finding the info I was looking for too even though I know it is on here somewhere.

I know someone made a Google search page for the hide and it works much better than their standard search option. Maybe someone could get this done for LRH! lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.