Suppressed or Un-suppressed

where is the best place to buy a can

belrose, It all depends on where you are. Where are you? Buying a can is a process, currently a 5-12 month process. Its not difficult if you have a clean record, in fact, generally speaking, if you are qualified to buy a gun, you will likely be ok in buying a suppressor.

Txshooter - you dont experience a POI shift when you detach and re attach your AAC can? I know a lot of AAC cans use a fast thread with a ratchet lock, is that the same quick attach you have?

Mine does not change point of impact. And I do not like the ratchet ones. U have to have the adaptor on your rifle and it looks silly to me. I just screw mine on and off the old fashioned way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman
I would think the Ti cans would get really hot compared to SS

I don't know but that's why they make suppressor covers. And my SS one gets pretty hot

Why would Ti get hotter than SS?

Covers keep the heat in and I want the can to cool down. Unless I am in a burn risk situation or the mirage is bad, I keep my cans uncovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman
I would think the Ti cans would get really hot compared to SS

Why would Ti get hotter than SS?

Covers keep the heat in and I want the can to cool down. Unless I am in a burn risk situation or the mirage is bad, I keep my cans uncovered.

I agree. I don't keep mine covered but when I want to switch. I can put it on and unscrew without burning my hand

Titanium holds heat much longer than stainless. It may take a little longer to get hot but it takes way longer to cool down. Typically the increased strength of TI means the parts can be much thinner which helps but holding heat is just a property of titanium.

This is a test on a TI outer sleeve of a can, although none of us will probably push a can this hard, watch how the sleeve heats up.

Suppressor Failure Point Testing - YouTube

Those are all AAC cans. L-r. .22 element, 9mm ti-rant, 45 ti-rant, 5.56 m4-2000, 7.62sd qd, 7.62 cyclone, .338 Titan, and .338 qd TiTan.
My accuracy has improved when shooting these because the muzzle blast and noise reduction helped me eliminate a flinch from the big bores. Also completely changes recoil impulse on a .338 lapua/trg42. Only cans not pictured is my gem tech ump,45 can and the thunder beast .338ba that I'm waiting on a tax stamp. I run the qd cans on semi guns and the thread on cans on bolt guns with the exception of the Titan qd that's on the trg. Accuracy with the Titan qd is exceptional on or off no difference in group size with a minor poi shift .2mil. Like I said I never shoot without a can now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 94
belrose, It all depends on where you are. Where are you? Buying a can is a process, currently a 5-12 month process. Its not difficult if you have a clean record, in fact, generally speaking, if you are qualified to buy a gun, you will likely be ok in buying a suppressor.

I am in Texas and I also have my CHL I shoot a 300 wsm mountain TI with a 22'' barrel and quiet would sure be nice

Titanium holds heat much longer than stainless. It may take a little longer to get hot but it takes way longer to cool down. Typically the increased strength of TI means the parts can be much thinner which helps but holding heat is just a property of titanium.

Unless you are a materials engineer or inorganic chemist specializing in specific heat capacities, you might not have the credentials to make blanket statements like this. "way longer" and "just a property of titanium" are not accurate. Please be careful with your words.

Titanium cans are generally significant lighter, a major selling point over a steel built can. Most every manufacturer producer builds reliable Ti cans. If you can afford a Ti can, I think most experienced users would advise Ti is the way to go. Buy Ti or wait until you can afford to buy Ti.

Those are all AAC cans. L-r. .22 element, 9mm ti-rant, 45 ti-rant, 5.56 m4-2000, 7.62sd qd, 7.62 cyclone, .338 Titan, and .338 qd TiTan.
My accuracy has improved when shooting these because the muzzle blast and noise reduction helped me eliminate a flinch from the big bores. Also completely changes recoil impulse on a .338 lapua/trg42. Only cans not pictured is my gem tech ump,45 can and the thunder beast .338ba that I'm waiting on a tax stamp. I run the qd cans on semi guns and the thread on cans on bolt guns with the exception of the Titan qd that's on the trg. Accuracy with the Titan qd is exceptional on or off no difference in group size with a minor poi shift .2mil. Like I said I never shoot without a can now.

Awesome! You are the man.

Unless you are a materials engineer or inorganic chemist specializing in specific heat capacities, you might not have the credentials to make blanket statements like this. "way longer" and "just a property of titanium" are not accurate. Please be careful with your words.

Titanium cans are generally significant lighter, a major selling point over a steel built can. Most every manufacturer producer builds reliable Ti cans. If you can afford a Ti can, I think most experienced users would advise Ti is the way to go. Buy Ti or wait until you can afford to buy Ti.

Im no material engineer or metalurgist but i have significant experience machining and welding titanium and many of blisters due to its ability to hold heat.
As well as a few references from experts.

ASM Material Data Sheet

ASM Material Data Sheet

If you would take a minute to review the links i posted you will see that the thermal conductivity of TI is aprx 1/3 of 304 SS. So may statements were not really blanket statements at all, but rather just put in to layman's terms.

Also if you view major manufactures sites, the materials used on suppressors for machine gun applications will typically be 304, 316, 17-4, and monels such as 718 inconel and k-500. All metals that have great strength at evevated temperatures, good thermal conductivity as well as very high corrosion resistance that i have significant experience with.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.