Suppressed or Un-suppressed

Im no material engineer or metalurgist but i have significant experience machining and welding titanium and many of blisters due to its ability to hold heat.
As well as a few references from experts.

ASM Material Data Sheet

ASM Material Data Sheet

If you would take a minute to review the links i posted you will see that the thermal conductivity of TI is aprx 1/3 of 304 SS. So may statements were not really blanket statements at all, but rather just put in to layman's terms.

Also if you view major manufactures sites, the materials used on suppressors for machine gun applications will typically be 304, 316, 17-4, and monels such as 718 inconel and k-500. All metals that have great strength at evevated temperatures, good thermal conductivity as well as very high corrosion resistance that i have significant experience with.

I am not disagreeing at all. Your references are legit as is your experience. Properties get complicated. Do manufacturers always optimize their selection of metals? In their own way, I hope so. But they must consider price, ease of working the metal, availability, as well as how the metal properties meet the needs of the application, and I suspect many more considerations.

Understanding the units of measurment and what the units mean is important when discussing the fact that Ti is 1/3 of 304. That may be misleading while still factual. 1/3 sounds like a lot. What does it mean in terms of time it takes my suppressor to cool enough to remove? We could throw down some numbers and calculate that but way too many variables (internals, wall thickness, how much carbon buildup, etc) would come into play to get much closer than a good estimate.

How about this, suppressors are good, and a good suppressor is better!

Maybe someone with a titanium suppressor could weigh in. My limited experience with ti cans cant properly represent an entire market booming with suppressor manufacturers.

Comparing the Titan quick detach in titanium vs my Titan in SS the Ti model heats up and gives me mirage with about 5 rounds of .338lapua the SS model takes about 10-15 rounds based on ambient temperature. I do use a cover to prevent mirage from the cans but can pull it back in between strings to let it cool. The SS seems to retain heat longer, while the Ti seems to cool quicker. I base my observations below based on being able to touch cans barehanded.

From my unscientific observations:
Ti can heat up quicker, cools quicker
SS heats up slower, takes longer to cool

Thats about what i would have guessed. I wouldve expected the ti can to take a bit longer to heat up. I imagine its made of much thinner mat'l than the ss can, which would explain the quick dissapation. What would you estimate the weight of the two cans to be?

AAC says SS is 38oz which is true and you could club someone with it-it's a brick. It does seem to help the harmonics of the barrel that it hangs on. The Ti-qd is about 18-20 oz and actually sounds better to the ear than the SS-not much difference but edge goes to Ti.

Great thread. Thanks to those with suppressor experience sharing the knowledge. I've got a YHM-3300-Ti titanium at the Class III waiting on my stamp. I'm primarily interested in running it on my coyote calling rifle. I went with the QD and I guess it was a good thing as I needed different threads on my barrels depending on caliber and diameter but I'm not sure I would go QD again if I had a choice. The flashhider is going to offset a lot of the weight savings of my titanium suppressor which I didn't factor into my decisions. In retrospect, I think I would have gone with a threaded model and either bought another suppressor or done without on the barrel(s) that needed a different thread. Overall, I'm pretty pumped about hunting coyotes suppressed. It should up my game in some circumstances. A buddy who got me going on this said that a missed coyote is just as likely to run towards you as away when it hears the bullet hit behind him. lightbulb We'll see.

I've never really noticed first round pop in the rifles, though its noticeable on the pistol and ar-15 cans.

Great thread. Thanks to those with suppressor experience sharing the knowledge. I've got a YHM-3300-Ti titanium at the Class III waiting on my stamp. I'm primarily interested in running it on my coyote calling rifle. I went with the QD and I guess it was a good thing as I needed different threads on my barrels depending on caliber and diameter but I'm not sure I would go QD again if I had a choice. The flashhider is going to offset a lot of the weight savings of my titanium suppressor which I didn't factor into my decisions. In retrospect, I think I would have gone with a threaded model and either bought another suppressor or done without on the barrel(s) that needed a different thread. Overall, I'm pretty pumped about hunting coyotes suppressed. It should up my game in some circumstances. A buddy who got me going on this said that a missed coyote is just as likely to run towards you as away when it hears the bullet hit behind him. We'll see.

Is weight the only problem you have with QD mount? I wouldnt expect it to be that heavy. What made you lean toward YHM?

I've never really noticed first round pop in the rifles, though its noticeable on the pistol and ar-15 cans.

I would think the ti would be a little louder first round because the increased volume, being its made out of thinner mat'l, and a little quieter after that. Although i discussed this with a few guys at a local shop and they had a few different theorys on why titanium can were quieter. One theory was that the resonance of titanium cans was higher pitched and produced a tone that was less distinguishable to the human ear. I dont know of a way to prove it but it sounds reasonable to me.

Its dependant on a few variables, but usually the ambient air (oxygen) in a suppressor acts as an accelerant to the burning gas leaving the muzzle and makes a distinct pop that sounds a little louder than the following shots.

Like schmi015 said its hard to tell in a rifle, but certain calibers, bullets, pressures etc... it can become painfully apparent.

There are some tricks to help rid of it, like filling the can with computer duster and taping over the hole or shooting the can wet with water, oil or grease.

***** The majority of high caliber rifle suppressors can not be shot wet, check with the manufacturer before shooting any can wet*****

Interesting. I've got a lot to learn about these suppressors. From a hunting angle, that could make a difference. Thanks.

From all the cans mentioned earlier on my reply which are all titanium, we don't really notice any first round pops.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.