Suppressed or Un-suppressed

Canadian Bushman

Many suppressor manufacturers claim their products can improve accuracy, reduce recoil, last for thousands if rounds, and sometimes even add 10-20 fps to a bullets velocity, but yet i still dont see many long range rigs wearing cans. Is there anyone who uses a suppressor on their long range rifle that can support or disprove these claims?

We can't legally hunt with a can here.....So there's no point in sighting in your LR rig with one on.

That's probably the case for alot of why you don't see them on many. Also, the fact that suppressor prices have skyrocketed through the roof in the last couple years, I'm sure has plenty to do with it, too.

To buy a .338 caliber AAC can will run you over $1,500 + $200 stamp + tax on your purchase. That's $1,850 for something that will only drop your decibles down about 40 db. $1,850 will buy alot earplugs.

Don't get me wrong. I love suppressors, and will have a couple someday, when the money gets right....But I also look at the pro's and con's of everything.

I see. i keep forgetting the majority of people on this forum live in the north central US. I understand that would be a very expensive purchase for something you have no purpose for. You can always get around the cost by building it yourself, thats what i do.
It still isnt cheap and there is a healthy wait time but its a nice way to get suppressed.

Many in our group have echoed that it was the best investment on the rifle. With that it may be a true statement that what you pay is what you get.

We are running Thunder Beast suppressors on 338LM and 260s
SRTs on 338LM and 6.5x47s
And Gemtecs on 6.5x47s

These are used at events, private ranges which is nice at keeping the neighbors content and for hunting.

We have not seen any issues as far as a drop in accuracy, all rifles shoot very well and place very well at events and yes it takes a good shooter.

It is always fun to see the expression on the faces of some when your getting ready to shoot a cold bore event or marksmanship event at 600 to 900 yards and spin the can off or on, switching things around from one rifle to the next while staging and getting ready to shoot. Most folks think you just screwed up your zero or accuracy, nope. A very accurate gun will shoot accurate with or with out.

For hunting it's nice not to have to plug up heavy to protect yourself from the blast off of the muzzle brake on a 338LM, nothing like being in a tall stand all settled in and then bump your hat and then watch your ear plug drop to the bottom 20' below, not anymore.

The sonic crack of the bullet is still in the air around the intended target so if you would miss your target stills hears the crack. If your aim is true then it doesn't matter either way.

As long as you don't get to carried away you can screw the suppressor off and use it on another rifle as long as the caliber does not get larger in diameter. I use my TBAC 338P-1 on my Barrett 338LM and my Custom 260, my son has a TBAC 30P-1 for his 260 and you cannot tell the differences between the two.

Round count on my suppressor between the two rifles is 3240 rounds total, and it still works like new

Some folks claim the barrels get dirty quicker, we have not noticed any major difference from shooting nothing or suppressed.

As stated probably one of the best investments we made

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

I like both suppressed and non suppressed. With most of my rifles the difference is a few clicks of the turret. It's nice to take a youth hunting and instead of worrying about a 243 and a good shot, I can just put the can on a 308 and now have no recoil yet still benefit from the large bore. I've passed a suppressor around a 300win mag, a 308, and a 22-250. All shoot the same or better group size with the can. I love them, and can't think of not having one. But I still shoot with out them. I will say 2 things about them. I would make sure the one I bought was 300win mag rated. Most .30 cal are not. And if I bought another I'd go with a titanium one to reduce weight. Though, Off of a rest like a bipod it does feel pretty balanced. My 2 cents

I love running both of my suppressors. Makes shooting at the range with no muffs very enjoyable aswel. Accuracy is still great. Only reall down side for me is the added length/weight mainly on the stainless steel one. The TI one is pretty light.

I figured if I'm going to suppress one I'd suppress em all. I no longer shoot loud, ever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 106
I cannot understand why moderators are so expensive in the US they are available in the UK starting at about £200 about $300 for a stainless model to about £600 for a titanium model this must be the only shooting item that is cheaper in the UK than the US.

I like both suppressed and non suppressed. With most of my rifles the difference is a few clicks of the turret. It's nice to take a youth hunting and instead of worrying about a 243 and a good shot, I can just put the can on a 308 and now have no recoil yet still benefit from the large bore. I've passed a suppressor around a 300win mag, a 308, and a 22-250. All shoot the same or better group size with the can. I love them, and can't think of not having one. But I still shoot with out them. I will say 2 things about them. I would make sure the one I bought was 300win mag rated. Most .30 cal are not. And if I bought another I'd go with a titanium one to reduce weight. Though, Off of a rest like a bipod it does feel pretty balanced. My 2 cents

Has there been any improvement in accuracy with the suppressor, or a change in muzzle velocity?

What can are you using?

Has there been any improvement in accuracy with the suppressor, or a change in muzzle velocity?

What can are you using?

Accuracy for me has improved for all mine. Don't know if that always happens but it did for me. I have the awc thundertrap. If I did it again I'd get the titanium version for the weight reduction. But the weight isn't bad if u don't screw it on until you get to where you want to shoot it. Now I'm actually getting ready to buy the fully I intergrated rifle. Awesome balance and feel. And it doesn't look suppressed just like a heavy bull barrel rifle.

We are using them on huge numbers in Scandinavia and the prices aren't that high either. Between 300 – 1000 dollars. Recoil reduces significantly and so precision is increasing for most of the shooters. BTW, good for the game… :) If suppressors have to be used frequently on the range with big numbers of series you should choose something made of titanium and a B & T connection, something that lasts. Bullet velocity isn't reduced that's for sure, but the disadvantages are weight and they are really ugly looking.

Txshooter - you dont experience a POI shift when you detach and re attach your AAC can? I know a lot of AAC cans use a fast thread with a ratchet lock, is that the same quick attach you have?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts