Stony Point 3 pt Stix

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
STIX3PT-2.JPG

Just got to play with the Stony Point 3 pt setup. I like being on the ground the best of course but that is not always an option in this part of the world. As you can see it is mostly cross canyon hole to hole shooting.
STIX3PT.JPG

These pics of my hunting buddy using them show the kind of conditions we deal with. I also suspect that speed goat hunters will like them as well for shooting the sage flats.
I like the setup, it is much more stable the just standard "stix", but still packable. Anyone else using these and how do you like them?

Shawn

I use a set without the "4th" arm which supports the buttstock. Sitting in a lightweight foldable (3 legged) stool with a back rest, the StoneyPoint tri-pod is remarkably stable for shooting varmints at reasonable ranges. It also gets you well above the vegetation line.

I also tried shooting from the standing position with the legs fully extended. Results were better than shooting frrehand but weren't great either.

How well does the "4th arm" work anyway?

Shawn:

001_grinning-smiley-003.gif
001_grinning-smiley-003.gif
on those 3 legged Stoney Points with the trailing arm.

I've been using a set for a year now and really like them. I've got bipods on everything and prefer them over the sticks, but when you have to get higher they sure do provide a solid support. The trailing arm is easy to use and really stabilizes everything.

Shawn,
I have been shooting that rig since it was first developed by Tom, some time before he put it on the market. Have used it all over N.America and it just plain works. Took a black bear a couple of weeks ago in northern Manitoba with one. Far better than the crossed sticks or tripod, you have to get the rear of the rifle supported too and that rig does a good job. Took three of them up to Alaska a couple of years ago - we set two of them up in camp covering "shooting lanes" where bears might be seen. One of the guides killed a very big black bear from the setup, we saw the bear and he ran over, dropped his rifle into the rig and shot from standing. One shot one bear.

Only setup more steady is the Spec Rest from Texas, but it is heavier and not as easy to haul around. I really like both setups, the Spec Rest lets a person shoot as well from standing as you probably can from sitting or kneeling. I shoot consistent 1" 3-shot groups from standing with the Spec Rest when I have been practicing on it.

I will send you some more images of the Stoney Point you might enjoy.

I've been using the tripod for a year...mainly with handguns (T/C, XP's and Strikers) with great success. I have the tall set that extends to around 65".

I also took a youth hunter on his fourth deer hunt and he had yet to be successful...and without the sticks he still would be deerless. We were crossing a hay pasture to set up for the evening looking down into an orchard. Then a large doe walked up out of the woods and turned around and went back down the hill to the orchard while we were in the wide open. We hurriedly crossed the field when she was out of sight to hopefully find her feeding within range. As we closed the gap, I spotted her feeding in thicket while we were still 15 yards from any available natural shooting rest and the shooter was not proficient enough to take an offhand shot at 65 yards. I had the Stoney Point sticks extended to length and within seconds he wasready for the shot. With the sticks he was able to harvest his first deer.

I never leave home without them!! I sure would like to get that fourth arm too!! Where can I find one??

Stoney Point sells them separately, you can add it to your setup easily. They have a website I believe you may be able to buy from. Bushnell recently bought them out, via acquiring some other companies.

Shawn, are you using the compact or explorer model? In your experience, do you think that the compact (up to 38") would be sufficient for most sitting shots or would the explorer (up to 62") be more adequate in the mountainous terrain? I've been looking for some means that would allow for a sitting shot and your review will probably save me a few bucks in failed experiments. Thanks! -- Don

Don & ALB,

I would stick with the 38" ones. I have not used the taller modle but in using the tall Stix found they were to flexy for my taste.
You can unscrew the fork and use the stud to screw any standard optic or range findr on to.

Shawn

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.