Stock Marks

If you got a really good deal on it all is not lost. If you have a modicum of patience and skill its not difficult to rebed and dress up the finish

Maybe I am under the wrong impression, was this bought from the "professional" builder, or the first owner ? Either way, did you do your due diligence and ask specific questions as to condition, function, etc? I bought a car off of e-bay, (yeah, I know) and because I asked every question, and had the answers in writing, I found out it had a "salvage" title.....but, I ended up with the car AND my money back...always, cya...rsbhunter

Is that a Sendero/HS stock?
If so, I've got a used one I will be selling that is in better shape than that one. No Dremel marks. :D

Let me know if you're interested.

Nope, that is not typical. bedding the bottom metal is not that tricky, the only thing I can think of is that someone did not care enough to do it right. I am sorry you got this job done so poorly.
If you can, get in contact with the person/company that did the job and have them redo it and let them redeem themselves. I know if I had made a customer that mad I would gladly redo my work and make it acceptable to the customer. everyone can have a bad day but that work should be redone.

I'M thinking that was a home grown job . If you have the time and patience you can make that look a lot better . As for the feeding problem that I would have to look at also to see if the mag well is properly fitted but from looking at the out side of the stock my guess is that it is not . All is not lost it takes time and some studying to figure it out and fix this messed up job . I hope you didn't spend too much for it and if it were me I wouldn't have much to do with that seller again as I don't think they are too trustworthy .

Looking at the pics, appears stock was cut with ? to accept the DBM bottom. Note the opening beside the bottom metal is not straight and front/rear of inletting is crudely opened. Perhaps the mag is too deep and crooked. It could be repaired by rebedding the DBM metal, but knowing how deep may be problematic. Filling the torn up areas with epoxy, filing/sanding it down smooth and a bit of Krylon webbing paint would improve the aesthetics. Heck of a mess and huge job to repair correctly.

It was a second hand purchase from a seller in Virginia to me in Illinois. Seller supposedly had the smith build it. I'm in contact with the seller. Sent him pictures of the stock. He is not saying whether or not it came from the smith this way. Said he remembers builder having an issue with the magazine well. He offered to give my money back. I'm trying to avoid that. If we go that way, I am not looking forward to the FFL headache and the shipping costs. I bought brass, bullets, and dies too. I also bought a 20 MOA pinned scope base from Stiller for the Predator action. If I return the firearm, I doubt I buy another 6.5 SAUM right away.

I emailed the builder via their website asking for a reply so I can send him pictures of the stock. It's a Manners stock.

Yep, this is likely the one and only used firearm I ever purchase on line.

It was a second hand purchase from a seller in Virginia to me in Illinois. Seller supposedly had the smith build it. I'm in contact with the seller. Sent him pictures of the stock. He is not saying whether or not it came from the smith this way. Said he remembers builder having an issue with the magazine well. He offered to give my money back. I'm trying to avoid that. If we go that way, I am not looking forward to the FFL headache and the shipping costs. I bought brass, bullets, and dies too. I also bought a 20 MOA pinned scope base from Stiller for the Predator action. If I return the firearm, I doubt I buy another 6.5 SAUM right away.

I emailed the builder via their website asking for a reply so I can send him pictures of the stock. It's a Manners stock.

Yep, this is likely the one and only used firearm I ever purchase on line.
actually, according to the "for sale" post its not a manners stock--here is the quote from his "for sale" thread: "The stock is a Bell and Carlson Medalist that's been machined to accept the bottom medal"--the seller did not state if the "custom builder" did the mods to the stock or someone else

Last edited:
It appears that the bottom metal was an after thought . The magazine box that is the size for one without bottom metal is a different length then the one for an action with bottom metal . You may need to get the proper magazine box from the action manufacture that will fit into and be held in place by it's fit into the bottom of the action , the follower and spring should work . You can get some longer action screws and use a good amount of release agent on them then fill in and shape the bottom of the stock , make sure to tape off or fill the areas with modeling clay , that you don't want filled in with your bedding compound , stock repair compound, after it cures remove the bolts and put the bottom metal on the outside of the stock use the screws to keep it lined up , use a scribe to trace around the bottom metal then carefully cut out the stock a little at a time with a small rotary burr and dremmel or get someone with a milling machine to cut it to the lines and the proper depth . Then if it wasn't pillar bedded you can do that at this time after the stock has been fixed . If it hasn't been pillar bedded and you decide not to pillar bed it you will want to drill the action screw holes to a larger size so that the screws fit into the action and bottom metal wit no binding . I wouldn't hesitate to do my own that looked like that but a good smith or builder and stock maker perhaps even Bell and Carlson might do the work for you .

Hate to suggest it, but there are hs stocks on sale now, or maybe a chassis ? I know, you just dumped a boat load of $$$$ for transfer, dies, brass, etc. If you get a stock/chassis that has the aluminum bedding block, or alum. Chassis, its a bolt in proposition....plus, it will actually add value...not knocking the stock, but I feel it should be a manners, hs, or semi custom on a "custom built" rifle...good luck, keep us posted..rsbhunter

I like H S Pression stocks the palm swell is a bit to big for my hands but they are fine stocks for sure and a good option for this problem

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.