Stock For a Ruger M77 Mark II ?

looking for a light-mid weight stock for a Ruger m77 markII.rifle is a 270 win shooting reloads, going to be used for hunting. the rifle isn't performing as well as i would like and i think a new shock would help. the rifle is currently riding in the factory Ruger skeleton stock, that thing flexes like no other.

Budget is 200$ only stocks i found were the Hogues overmold stock with a full bed, and the other was a B and C carbelite.

any inputs?

I had a Hogue stock on a rifle and it performed okay and it was easy to grip but I wouldn't recommend them due to their heaviness. The B&C Carbolite stocks are nice for the price if you get the one with the bedding block, as the model without seems to crack between the recoil lug recess and mag well.

P.S. I have had the "canoe paddle" Ruger stock on a rifle and found it very satisfactory, and never noticed any discernible flex. The rifle is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, i.e.: sub .25" at 200yds.

I have the same gun with the factory wood stock and it shoots great. I also have one in 7mm rem mag all weather with the synthetic factory stock and I'm replaceing it with a Boyds Laminate stock.
I have seen some used factory wood stocks on line or check out the Boyd's Stocks. The prices aren't that bad.

I was leaning towards the Huoges Overmold because of the full aluminium bedding block. i didn't see any carbolite with a bedding block.
Here

i do like laminated stocks but they tend to be on the heavier side. plus i often time go out in wet weather and have always been told that wood and rain dont mix well.

It's VERY difficult to get any bedding material to stick to a Hogue stock - the rubberized material portion, that is. I, too, like the feel of them but if you can't also bed them then the usefulness goes down.

I used a Hogue full bed style on my sporter weight 77 in 338 WM.

It tightened up to MOA and dampened felt recoil.

The weight in this version while heavier potentially than the other option you are considering is not too bad.

I really like the stainless rifle with Hogue for an all weather version. I really like the grippy sensation in wet conditions.

I agree that steel bedding this would be problematic and should be considered as you make a choice.

I believe this setup is fine for less than 4-500 yards.

If I was planning on shooting/hunting further than that, I would likely want steel or glass bedding but it would be a different platform/heavier rifle anyway.

i do have the stainless 270. im jumping the gun and going to go with the overmolded stock. i really do like that thumb hole stock but i just want something that will go through some wet conditions. iv backpacked in during heavy rain a hail and i would not trust a wood stock in those kinds of conditions.
i will have it glass bedded and need a trigger job done on the rifle. i don't really plan on taking game from more than 500yds just trying to build an all around hunting rifle but trying to keep it light and on a budget.

looking for a light-mid weight stock for a Ruger m77 markII.rifle is a 270 win shooting reloads, going to be used for hunting. the rifle isn't performing as well as i would like and i think a new shock would help. the rifle is currently riding in the factory Ruger skeleton stock, that thing flexes like no other.

Budget is 200$ only stocks i found were the Hogues overmold stock with a full bed, and the other was a B and C carbelite.

any inputs?

I have a M77 MKII in .338 WM

P4030316.jpg

... and it shoots factory (Hornady 225gr SST) like ...

TgtGfx1.jpg

I replaced it with B&C Duramaxx for $90 (on sale) ...

P2210386.jpg

Still working on loads (currently shooting 225 NABs with 73.5 H4831SC) a getting <1 MOA @ 400 yards, rifle not bedded.

First kill last year @ 338 yards ...

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

2011-11-19_14-48-02_4.jpg

Sometimes the problem may not be the stock, I had a friend that had a bad barrel on his wife's .270 Win (non-paddle type stock) - he got rid of it.

Good luck!

(Sorry for all the pix) :cool:

Update.
Since i was set on getting a new stock I pulled the old stock off and was looking at it and thought why don't i try and stiffen up the factory stock for the hell of it. the forearm section of the stock was hollow with horizontal sections. I grounded out all the horizontal sections till it was one big open cavity. i took some thin flat aluminum ( it think it was from an old window) and epoxied the two pieces to the two sides of the cavity of the stock. then roughed up the stock and bedded the recoil lug and the first 2 inches of the barrel. To my surprise it turned out pretty good. the fore end of the stock is now stiffer and it is much harder to flex the stock to where it touches the barrel. its nothing pretty, added some weight, and i question how well the bedding material will hold to the stock but i was really surprised. going to take the rifle out some time this week to see if accuracy has improved at all.

I still plan on getting a new stock, just playing around with the old paddle stock. didn't take any pictures just happened out of curiosity but if the range report looks good i may take some pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.