sticky bolt regardless of what happens.

It just struck me as odd that a case fired thru this chamber won't fit. I've had this problem before but all I had to do was resize and shoot then everything worked like it's supposed to.

Just getting irritated with this rifle because it started out as a steal then couldn't get it to perform and now after spending the money to be rechambered it's still a useless rifle.

If this doesn't pan out I'm gonna start over with a new barrel and chamber it in the Norma.

It just struck me as odd that a case fired thru this chamber won't fit. I've had this problem before but all I had to do was resize and shoot then everything worked like it's supposed to.

Just getting irritated with this rifle because it started out as a steal then couldn't get it to perform and now after spending the money to be rechambered it's still a useless rifle.

If this doesn't pan out I'm gonna start over with a new barrel and chamber it in the Norma.

There is another test you can do that I just thought about and have seen in the past.

Take a fired case that came out of that chamber and using a Sharpie Pin and mark the 12 o'clock positions on the case head. Very carefully place it in the chamber at 12 o'clock and slowly try to close the bolt. If it doesn't want to close place the case in the 2;00 position and try it.

Continue to do this until it will close. If it will close in one of the positions the chamber is not centered.

I have seen this on some poorly chambered factory and a few customs.

If the case is not centered most if not all of the brass will not fit unless you can place it in the exact position as it was fired.

You can actually take a wooden dowel and place the case in the chamber without the bolt in place
with your finger and use the dowel to push it out. With just your finger you will be able to almost get it in all the way if you find the position it was fired in.

Simple test.

J E CUSTOM

Well so far problem solved. Got the existing brass resized and now hopefully to go pull the trigger tomorrow and see if there is still a sticky bolt

There is another test you can do that I just thought about and have seen in the past.

Take a fired case that came out of that chamber and using a Sharpie Pin and mark the 12 o'clock positions on the case head. Very carefully place it in the chamber at 12 o'clock and slowly try to close the bolt. If it doesn't want to close place the case in the 2;00 position and try it.

Continue to do this until it will close. If it will close in one of the positions the chamber is not centered.

I have seen this on some poorly chambered factory and a few customs.

If the case is not centered most if not all of the brass will not fit unless you can place it in the exact position as it was fired.

You can actually take a wooden dowel and place the case in the chamber without the bolt in place
with your finger and use the dowel to push it out. With just your finger you will be able to almost get it in all the way if you find the position it was fired in.

Simple test.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you - never thought of this - may come in handy some day. Even us guys that have been around a while can learn something new.

sounds to me like primery extraction problem with the fired rd. in this chamber which has been known to happen when the action is blue printed and lugs trued, just one more thing to check??

sounds to me like primery extraction problem with the fired rd. in this chamber which has been known to happen when the action is blue printed and lugs trued, just one more thing to check??[/QUOTE

What's the best way to check if its a priamary extraction problem. I am having simulation issues. I made a small based die by cutting the neck off a fl die so I can bump further without hitting the shoulder.

Loaded round - sticky before it closes and have to beat it open. (without being fired)
After being fired - have to beat it open to get the fired case out.
An empty fired case on this chamber - sticky before closing and beat it open to get it out.

Primary extraction problems do not cause the bolt to be hard to close.

I have heard of clocking brass but that was due to undersized brass or oversized chamber that caused a belly in the brass and the shooter was attempting to hold closer concentricity of his loaded rounds. Nothing to do with chambering or extraction issue. I can visualize how it could happen though.

The most likely cause for this issue is out of spec brass.

Certainly the OP has tried a new brass by now. Any new light on this?

The problem was that the old chamber was quite a bit bigger than the new chamber and the standard full length sizing die didn't resize it all the way to the head of the case.
Different sizing die and reduce the charge another half grain and it's working like a champ.
I still haven't gotten the groups I would like to see but I've got 2 loads that seem promising.

One thing that surprised me is that on the old chamber I could go up to 91 grains before reaching high pressure and now at 87.5 I just barely start to show pressure.

Goes to show you that a few thousandths in the chamber can make a big difference in pressure and charge weight.

Try a brass polishing brush on a dremel and get in there.With the work thats been done to the rifle its not uncommon to have some pretty rough edges in there.Take a Q-tip and move it around on the edges.See what catches and snags. I know it sounds silly after buying an expensive rifle but it happens. I have rifles great from the start. I have also had to polish 3 other rifles that i had thought due to the price there would be no way the work would be rough. Just a thought.lightbulblightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.