Sticky bolt both ways on R700 SFII 7mmRUM?

I stopped by LRH to enter the MCS give away contest.So I felt before RandyTheReloader makes a fool of himself with Remington Arms 1st I'll just do it here on LRH fellas.Problem:My R700 SFII Sendero bolt lugs seem to hang up when going in & coming out.When going in I have to use a few ft/lbs to get it locked up.Not too bad,but we are not talking "smooth as silk".Then "without firing" to extract the live round when the bolt is raised open it does not want to just pull open easy.My right hand pinky contacted the Shepherd scope yesterday working it,and had to stop when things turned bloody.I had been using the neoprene side of my gunsmith hammer to lightly tap it loose at the handle.I kept a factory round back to use for my reloading.Yes the factory feeds back & forth OK,not super smooth but acceptable enough.My handloads are the stickler.I have used my Mitutoyo di-calipers to measure every aspect between both.They are identical.As for headspace yes the brass has been previously fire formed by this chamber.No the gun has not been fired over 200 times.As usual it's probably something stupid simple I have overlooked.Chamber is clean.If any of you smitty's out there know(by experience maybe)what to tell me please do.Last forum I read about it when I searched online the responders got so "stupid" about it I just stopped reading.Nah I do not want to do something to my bolt lugs that would create gulling here at home.I see none now by definition.If it's something I should see a smitty about just tell me.Thanks fellas I'm sure the replies to this thread will find the straight expertise needed here on Len's LRH site to perhaps a home fix,or take it to a shop Randy.lightbulb

Randy,

Nine times out of ten when the bolt is stiff going into battery the firefirmed brass is to long.
The hornaday headspace measuring tool makes quick work of fiquring out how far you need to bump your shoulder back.
As for the bolt lift thats more like a timing issue, most I have seen with a catch at the top has been due to the handle being to far back and your not getting enough caming action hence you have to smack your bolt to to start the brass out of the chamber.
That would be me best guess with your descriptions.

Thank you Steve for your very helpful reply.Being a newbie to LRH postings I'm hoping my photo attachment works with this as I did upload the photo of my "homemade"gauge box container.As you can see I have the Hornady gauge complete set(minus a few mod-cases),and I previously owned ALL the arbors from back when owned by Sinclair.I'm using Mitutoyo & Fowler(on RCBS Master Guage)high end digital measuring tools in conjunction with the complete Hornady set here at home for my handloading.I am supplying the photo to show you,and other smitty's I'm just a newbie to the forums,but by no means to hand-loading ammunition in any gauge or caliber I've been Randy"THE"Reloader since 1980'.It's a mystery Steve.Does any smitty have the SAMMI spec headspace measurement datum ranges for the 7mm RUM?I do lack that tolerance.gun)

Attachments

• March2013 004.jpg
    March2013 004.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Randy,
Not knowing the history of your rifle I'm going to assume the headspace is correct. You can order a Field Gauge and a NO-GO gauge and know in short order your headspace is correct.

It's not unusual for the set up of your dies and shell holder that one of the other needs to be ground to allow the brass to go further in the die and bump the shoulder back a little. I like to full length size my brass and bump the shoulder back .001 every time I redo my brass that makes sure they chamber smoothly and I have had good accuracy doing it that way.

Not sure I'm answering what you are looking for but I see a lot of what you seem to be saying and rarely do I find the gun to far out of specs.

Steve,
Thank you for bearing with me on this.I'll get the go & no go gauges as well.It's a woes me job if I left the shoulders too far out.It'll be an impact de-load em to re-size em all job.:rolleyes:I'll re-do a couple just to see.Might be a day or two before I get back to the thread,but I'll get back to spit out my results.Thank you again!:)
RTR

Randy, Check the front scope base screws and make sure one of them is not contacting a lug on the bolt. I have seen several M700's do this. If this happens, take out the offending screw and shorten it or get a shorter screw. Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.