Sticking brass

so does a bolt that has a hard time being opened
True but by that time you are well over 70,000 psi depending on brass hardness. I had a similar issue with my 250AI using Alpha creedmoor brass. It turned out that my problem was 2 fold. The web was thicker than normal 250 brass and my load was hot enough to cause the head to swell just enough to cause the web area to stick in the chamber but not cause bolt swipe. The web was thick enough to protrude into the chamber and caused the sticking. I also had to use a rod to remove the brass as my extractor would either bend the rim or just ride over it.
I should add that when I dropped the load to normal pressure, the issue went away.

Last edited:
I never heard of any other brass brand give this much trouble ever. Although who knows what else is going on that the OP isn't mentioning. He did mention .002 off the lands but not where he set the shoulder, other than he just FL sized. The case is driven home before it fires, and the bullet is in the lands. Maybe, OP.... try and do a standard bullet seating, and see where the pressure is.

Use a Wilson cartage case gauge on all, no trimming required yet. After cleaning with kroil, barrel and chamber have dry swab run thru several times and then chamber gets alcohol swab. Never tried a chamber brush, put that one in the cart. Might put a small base in there to but Im kind of doubting my logic on that one. Started out using nosler brass with this barrel and had concentricity problems, not bad but 2 or 003. 300 peterson brass arrived and the concentricity cleared up. Sticking problem started on 4th​ firing and yes the primers have somewhat mushroomed out in the pocket. About like the 10000 or so 22-250 Ive loaded.

Thanks for taking the time
I've had good luck with a chamber hone, but you have to be easy with it or it'll enlarge your chamber. If you get a chamber hone also get the required oil, have a few rounds loaded up (new or no marks on the cases), and hone the chamber. Clean the chamber/bore and shoot a bullet and compare it to a case you've already shot. If the marks clean up nicely you're finished, if it likes a few more places then repeat, just don't polish too much so the brass has something to hold onto when fired. A highly polished chamber will cause excessive backward thrust because the brass has nothing to grip when fired and it will hammer the bolt.
I normally use 10 quick short strokes in and out per session and stop when the brass comes out looking like I want it to.
That's my 2 cents for what it's worth, but seriously don't spin and spin with the drill & chamber hone or you'll have an oversized chamber and most likely it'll be polished too much. I use the 400 grit chamber hone.
btw, you may be a little hot with that barrel, chamber, etc, back off some.

I take it I'm OP. good many acronyms here that I'm not familiar with. Not new to reloading by any means but I am new to talking about it. Learned long ago about 30-06 auto loader and small base but only load for that as I kill deer. The photo here is of a nosler and peterson, both subjected to the same process. I'm confident the nosler will eject with no problem, I'm also confident the Peterson will have to driven out with a rod. Small base die on the way, Mikecr is probably correct "IMO, the brass is ruined. Brass wants to go where its been and will", but I have to give it a try. IMO??
My guess is it will require SB every time, accuracy will suffer, with case separation near webbing area. For the cost of the die, 300 peterson brass its worth it.

Attachments

• DSCF3896 (800x450).jpg
    DSCF3896 (800x450).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 91
you don't need a small base die bro. You said that when you FL size it's fine. Small base dies are only gonna reduce the base about .001 more than your regular die.

How do the primer pockets feel? I have a custom die for my prc. Brass base expanded too much and won't undersized enough with a standard die. This is with adg and lapau brass. Hornady is fine and all are similar in weight. All I needed my brass to to do is size another .001 roughly. The custom die manages that and the brass is usable again so a small base die may work for you, fingers crossed.

I have Peterson brass for my creed and haven't had any issue's. I would definitely measure the base and compare expansion to other cases.

How do the primer pockets feel? I have a custom die for my prc. Brass base expanded too much and won't undersized enough with a standard die. This is with adg and lapau brass. Hornady is fine and all are similar in weight. All I needed my brass to to do is size another .001 roughly. The custom die manages that and the brass is usable again so a small base die may work for you, fingers crossed.

I have Peterson brass for my creed and haven't had any issue's. I would definitely measure the base and compare expansion to other cases.
He said he full lenght sizes after and it's fine.

Have you tried neck turning it. Had lots of 300winmag and 7wsm and 260 stick just like that. Take just a skim of, maybe a couple thou and try it