Sticking brass

savage action never been that good, but yes, full length was normal but after firing would not eject.
cows moved on down the holler, got some shooting in. more photos coming.

first shot after SB
no problems ejecting

Attachments

• 1st shot a.jpg
    1st shot a.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 1st shot.jpg
    1st shot.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 35
2nd, 2 were neck size only, 2 body, no problems ejecting

Attachments

• 2nd shot a.jpg
    2nd shot a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2nd shot b.jpg
    2nd shot b.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2nd shot.jpg
    2nd shot.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 46
3rd shot, neck size was moderately difficult to eject, body size had slightly less. I believe (I know) both would fail to eject on next load. Small base gets me 3 more reloads from peterson. Worth it??

Attachments

• 3rd shot a.jpg
    3rd shot a.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 3rd shot b.jpg
    3rd shot b.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 3rd shot.jpg
    3rd shot.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 33
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 30
Puzzle solved, at least in my mind.

Working up brass today, a box of 50. This is load development brass so some were loaded hot others not so much. I settled on my hot 42 gr load a good while back loaded one box of 50 3 times with that same load. This is Peterson fat brass in a custom barrel. All 300 turned to 0145 when first purchased and worked great. Today I was randomly fitting bullet into fired brass and some of that 50 would not fit.

I assumed that once I turned brass to a given thickness it would stay close until end of life but I was so wrong. I turned to 0145 and was surprised at the brass removed. I have also learned how to find brass that has been subjected to extreme pressure. A small base die will let you know.

So to every one, the one or two that suggested exactly that with a bullet. The guys who prompted me to check chamber conditions, the guys that said brass is ruined (and you are correct) even the spell checker.

I appreciate it, thanks for taking the time to look and offer your opinion.

Last edited: