steel gong question

NDAR15MAN

I hope I am putting this question in the correct forum section.
I am going to donate a 10 , 8 , 6 inch , 5/8 inch thick AS500 steel gongs to my local rifle range. shooting 500,400,300 yards.

As you know you can always count on some one doing the wrong thing ....like stealing the gong. Question.... what kind of stand should we use ? I thought we would weld clasp shut that connects chain to gong and then weld other end of chain to steel pipe ( posts ) and then cement pipe in ground ? What do u think ? Would the steel pipe hold up very long for the stand ? This will be for the club range , lots of shooters. photos would be great. thanks. Marty

I would sure think what you are thinking will work. The steel pipe "lasting" will all depend on how many shooters hit it. 300 isn't really that far and I've had my 223AI punch through steel at that range. It would only take a few misplaced bullets to compromise the stand, I would think. However, I don't think you really have many more options if you want to make it permanent.

If your guys are like the guys that show up at our range the FIRST thing they will try to do is shoot the pipe in half, we have to use road grader blades to make the frames and they last forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.