Gongs, steel targets, need advice

Little different than what you are looking for, but I'm welding up a KYL target stand next week. You could do a no weld one pretty easy that can disassemble with black pipe and tees.

You can simulate shooting further by going to a smaller plate. I got a 10", 8", 6", 4", 2" made out of 1/2" AR500 for $130.
I understand that you can shoot smaller targets and it's like shooting at a larger target at longer range but that doesn't help too much when you're trying to gather data on your rifle at different distances and with different winds. That's why I want to still shoot farther, going to a mile will be just for fun.

I found a place that's pretty close to home where I can setup to shoot to 1k yards.

What I need is some ideas/help on deciding what to do for a stand that's reasonably portable and can be setup in a reasonable amount of time as it's not a place that I could leave it. Also curious what size gong(s) I should get. I intend to work my way back and develop dope for at least a couple of rifles. I'd probably start at 300-400 and work my way back to 1k in this area.

I think there's another area I can go shoot a mile, or close to it too. So I was considering getting 2-4 gongs or steel plates to shoot at but am not sure what would be adequately sized for the different ranges. Also not sure what thickness to get. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Think in terms of your rifle's accuracy in MOA's. Then consider the size of the kill zone of the animals you hunt as well. Ie. a 1 Moa pattern at 100 yards should strike a 10 inch steel target at 1000 yards.

I found a place that's pretty close to home where I can setup to shoot to 1k yards.

What I need is some ideas/help on deciding what to do for a stand that's reasonably portable and can be setup in a reasonable amount of time as it's not a place that I could leave it. Also curious what size gong(s) I should get. I intend to work my way back and develop dope for at least a couple of rifles. I'd probably start at 300-400 and work my way back to 1k in this area.

I think there's another area I can go shoot a mile, or close to it too. So I was considering getting 2-4 gongs or steel plates to shoot at but am not sure what would be adequately sized for the different ranges. Also not sure what thickness to get. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
I typically have my targets at moa so I don't get the easier thrill of hitting a bigger plate just to hear it ring. It's a personal discipline that I feel promotes better field accuracy.

Think in terms of your rifle's accuracy in MOA's. Then consider the size of the kill zone of the animals you hunt as well. Ie. a 1 Moa pattern at 100 yards should strike a 10 inch steel target at 1000 yards.

I typically have my targets at moa so I don't get the easier thrill of hitting a bigger plate just to hear it ring. It's a personal discipline that I feel promotes better field accuracy.
I totally get all of that. I understand that a sub-MOA group at 100 should translate to <10" at 1k yards. I also understand that when pushing out to that kind of distance and farther it's get incredibly more difficult to maintain sub-MOA accuracy. Hence the questions. I have at least a couple of half-minute rifles and loads, but I still think hitting a 10" target at a grand is going to be difficult, especially when we start considering wind and all.

I shoot at AR500 only. Blowing chunks of hot steel from target somewhat of a fire hazard. I make sure no tall dead grass or junk is under targets. I use rubber straps cut from truck mud flaps & bolts/nuts/washers. Light weight plastic saw horses from Home Depot & 2X4, lag screws to hang targets.

Hitting 10 inches at 1,000 - not that easy & gives some appreciation of what happens after bullet leaves barrel & hits target. Fun to see steel jiggle way out there thru scope, recovery during TOF with light recoil. Shooting down silhouette chickens at 1,000 is a challenge. The .22-.250, 7.7 twist with 75 HELDM bullets is capable of doing this.

Nothing wrong going with something bigger at 1k. Then when you get comfortable and confidence built up at distance you can switch to smaller. We use 16x24x3/8 plate at 1k and just put little dot on it. Just as you said, if you hit the outside edge you will know, learn, and adjust for next shot. A good group is a good group regardless how big the target backer is.

I totally get all of that. I understand that a sub-MOA group at 100 should translate to <10" at 1k yards. I also understand that when pushing out to that kind of distance and farther it's get incredibly more difficult to maintain sub-MOA accuracy. Hence the questions. I have at least a couple of half-minute rifles and loads, but I still think hitting a 10" target at a grand is going to be difficult, especially when we start considering wind and all.
I agree totally. It made me realize that I shouldn't be taking shots at game at those extended ranges that I practice at. I have a 10"x14" plate I use at the farm @970yds. Hits are definately earned on this randomly set range but typically taken from prone/or bench . So during my typical hunting situation, I limit my shots on game to 600yds max, under ideal field conditions.

I shoot at AR500 only. Blowing chunks of hot steel from target somewhat of a fire hazard. I make sure no tall dead grass or junk is under targets. I use rubber straps cut from truck mud flaps & bolts/nuts/washers. Light weight plastic saw horses from Home Depot & 2X4, lag screws to hang targets.

Hitting 10 inches at 1,000 - not that easy & gives some appreciation of what happens after bullet leaves barrel & hits target. Fun to see steel jiggle way out there thru scope, recovery during TOF with light recoil. Shooting down silhouette chickens at 1,000 is a challenge. The .22-.250, 7.7 twist with 75 HELDM bullets is capable of doing this.
Curious, about that 7.7 twist. I have an action that I was thinking of getting a 22 Creed barrel for. Do you think the 7.7 is necessary? I was thinking about getting a 7.5, but I've heard 8 would be plenty.

Curious, about that 7.7 twist. I have an action that I was thinking of getting a 22 Creed barrel for. Do you think the 7.7 is necessary? I was thinking about getting a 7.5, but I've heard 8 would be plenty.
In this day and age of exponentially fast increase in "heavy weight for caliber bullets", a guy probably needs to go a minimum of .5-1 turn faster than is necessary for the current "HCFB" if you plan to continue chasing after the highest BC bullets you can shoot.

In this day and age of exponentially fast increase in "heavy weight for caliber bullets", a guy probably needs to go a minimum of .5-1 turn faster than is necessary for the current "HCFB" if you plan to continue chasing after the highest BC bullets you can shoot.
That's the thing though. I don't think I need/want to shoot the 90s in this particular case but was more thinking in the ~80gr range. Not sure if 1:7 or 1:7.5 is too fast if I ended up needing to jump down to something in the 70gr range. For that build specifically, I was thinking I'd want to shoot heavier bullets and leave the lighter bullets to something else, like a 223.

I bought the silhouette from shootsteel.com and put them in a 5 gallon home depot bucket with concrete. I roll it to different distances and when I gotta move it off the range just roll to the tailgate and lift. Shootsteel.com system to attach to the top of a 2x4 is awesome and worth the $$, better yet they have sales all the time!

That's the thing though. I don't think I need/want to shoot the 90s in this particular case but was more thinking in the ~80gr range. Not sure if 1:7 or 1:7.5 is too fast if I ended up needing to jump down to something in the 70gr range. For that build specifically, I was thinking I'd want to shoot heavier bullets and leave the lighter bullets to something else, like a 223.
My advice then is to check with the manufacturers recommendation.

Keep in mind if you shoot mono's they need more turns because they are considerably longer for the same weight.

As far as size goes, it depends on your ability at those ranges, and how well you read wind.
I like to shoot small targets and practice my wind calls at each distance with nothing bigger than 1 moa targets. Shooting bigger plates is much easier, and better if you are still learning, or if your wind calling isn't great. A 1 moa target at 1k would be a 10" plate, so you might want to go with a 2 moa plate to start.
As far as durability, I would go with 1/2" thick ar550 if you plan to shoot anything other than 5.56/.223. You may be able to step down to ar500 at distances past 700 yrds, but anything closer, I would go with ar550.

Hope this helps.