Steel Target Question "Gong"

Also, the hangers are 3/8" steel rod, bent to snap over the pipe on one end and pass through the eyebolt on the back of the plate. These work great, I designed them first to use with the AR 500 plates from Wideners. Had a welder bend them for me, cheap and if you hit one, easy to replace.

Heres a picture of my set up(before they where all stolen) Im in the process of build new.
You can carry 5 or 6 targets on a 4 wheeler at one time with no problem You can also remove the plate and hang a chain from the stand witha caribeener on the end to hang milk jugs

Attachments

• 100_1534.jpg
    100_1534.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_1535.jpg
    100_1535.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 76
I recall shooting old rail road tie plates when I was a kid. I don't think they are quite big enough for 1k shooting but I remeber the only thing that shot through them was a 30-06 with military ammo.

If you watch the video again, you can see the bullet actually bounces off the ground infront of the man, and it knocks his muffs off, but no physical damage was done to him(somehow). But in the end the message is the same....don't shoot at steel at 75 yards.....and don't shoot a 50 cal at 75 yards....
Nimrod

This thread reminds me of a You-Tube video I saw a while back where some guy shoots his 50 cal Browning machine Gun at a steel plate about 75 yards downrange and one bullet comes back along an almost identical path to when it left the muzzle and lops the guy's ear lobe right off.........:D

Shooting steel is fun but keep in mind that there is always the richochet issue.

No point in removing any extremities, even if by accident.....

I shoot plow disks. They are hardened steel and easy to find. I've been shooting the same two disks for 2 years. After about a thousand rounds on each they both need a little patch work which will bewelding a new disk ontop of the old ones which will make them twice as turf as before. There are different thickness and diameters them. The ones I use are about 18 inches in diameter give or take an inch or two. IMO there's not a SIMPLER or better steel target.

I shoot plow disks. They are hardened steel and easy to find. I've been shooting the same two disks for 2 years. After about a thousand rounds on each they both need a little patch work which will bewelding a new disk ontop of the old ones which will make them twice as turf as before. There are different thickness and diameters them. The ones I use are about 18 inches in diameter give or take an inch or two. IMO there's not a SIMPLER or better steel target. Just don't abuse them and shoot them any closer than 500 yards and they will last a very long time. I shoot them with 24 caliber rifles all the way up to 338 Lapua.

I shoot plow disks. They are hardened steel and easy to find. I've been shooting the same two disks for 2 years. After about a thousand rounds on each they both need a little patch work which will bewelding a new disk ontop of the old ones which will make them twice as turf as before. There are different thickness and diameters them. The ones I use are about 18 inches in diameter give or take an inch or two. IMO there's not a SIMPLER or better steel target. Just don't abuse them and shoot them any closer than 500 yards and they will last a very long time. I shoot them with 24 caliber rifles all the way up to 338 Lapua.

Where do you find plow discs? All that I find is discs that are still attached to plows.

Do you meen the discs off a disc harrow? Or somthing different?
Yes, but I'm talking about big stuff 24-36" diameter.

You see them out here used for pasture renovation and construction companies (heavy) use them on road projects. They are thick enough and hard enough to handle anything up to about .50 cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.