Help And Ideas for building steel gong

joelbiltz

Do any of you have any plans or instructions or a list of what I would need to build a portable steel gong. I want a 20 in tall by 24 in long target. What type of steel to use etc.etc.etc. This will be used from 100 yds out to 600 yards so it has to be portable enough to put in a pick up truck or ATV and somting one person can handle. I will be shooting a 300 wsm and muzzloaders at this target. Also the type of steel I need for the target would be appriciated. Thanks Joel

One thing I did was to hang the steel at an angle so bullets are deflected down. Bullets don't dent the steel as bad, steel lasts longer, steel can be a little lighter/more portable, and all bullets go down after hitting the gong.
339625.JPG

Here are a few links for you.

My 1 foot gong made from T1 plate.

T1 is old style tank armor and is cheaper and more available than hard plate. But look at what the 300 WM did at 100 yards. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Some here use junk steel and shoot the tar out of it then replace it with more junk steel. There are benefits and drawbacks to each method.

Here is another article.

There is alot of good advice to mull over.

Look in the phone book and see if you have any place around that sells scrap iron or old pipe fittings and flanges. Give them a call and see if they have any 12" 150# blind flanges. They make a great resounding sound when hit and aren't to terribly bad for one person to set up. They are around 19.5" across also.

We us two pipe jacks and the flange is supported by two pieces of old tow strap bolted through the holes. It is then hung off a piece of 1" pipe. WE just lay it up on the tail gate, drive out to where we want it set up the stands and set the pipe in them with the flange hanging under it. Here is a link to our's hope it helps.
Target Flange

Here's our original system--

The legs simply slide into the "swing set top" i put together by using some of that liquid weld or whatever it's called, to glue all the angle piping and horizontal top pipe together. It should be easy to figure out if u look at it close. This is a pretty portable system that works very well for the heaviest of targets.

Here's what we used for our SHOTS (Specialty Handgun Outdoorsman's Tactical Seminar) shoot we put on this last May, that works terrific for portable smaller tgts, even heavies would work too. Set up 30 of these in 1 day, and took it all down in <3 hrs. Best to use galvanized pipe T's for the tops of the vertical rebar (copper works OK too), as the plastic get shot up fast. If u ever get to Pueblo, CO (I25) let me know i'll take u to Spekens Metal Yard, and u can get some of these tgts. cheap. U can't touch it with a bullet or carbide drill bit-- they're heat treated cinder block molds, and they last forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.