Starting a new build. Need input.

What kind of info are you looking for? I'd start with a Winchester model 70 with controlled round feed (or some other Mauser type, for nastalgia). True the action, polish things so it cycles like butter, hang a 24" #5 Brux on it, pillar bed it in a sexy piece of walnut, (or laminated walnut for better stability, and coat the metal deep, flat black. A 2lb Jewell trigger, and a 2-8 Leupold in Talley rings to top it off... Hell, sign me up! Book the hunts, I'm coming!

Lol. Thanks for the info lorenzo. I have a savage la that I found at a estate sale. This action is stainless and already has a accu trigger on it. Hoping to build a weapon that reach out to 1000 yards + so any of your expertise in this build would be appreciated. Like the barrell you suggested and my choice of stock is along the lines of what you suggested in laminate.

(Teach a kid to shoot at an early age to take away there curiosity about guns)

Call me if ya like. I type too slow to enjoy email conversations. :D I'll be glad to share my experience. Number's in the sig line.

Is your action a RUM or H&H length action? If it is the standard mag length action it will not function as a repeater for you. . .

If you want a 375 caliber I'd go 375 Ruger as it fits a standard mag box and it holds more powder and is thus faster. If you want a long range 375 bullet with a high BC I believe you'll have a hard time fitting them in a mag box and they should be fairly pricy, though I have not experience with the 375 class.

The 375 RUM may be a better choice than the H&H but I'm not really up on the 375's so take that for what it's worth.

Were I you I would seriously consider dropping into the 338 caliber. There are lots of suitable high BC long range bullets on the market. If your action is a standard magnum length I'd suggest a 338x375 Ruger as it matches 340 Wby ballistics, brass is commonly available and it's relatively cheap.

If you indeed have a RUM or H&H length action I'd say go 338 Edge or Lapua. The Lapua is a factory round and dies are cheaper but the brass is expensive. They are ballistic equals in practical terms. Were you wanting somethign even cheaper but still in the same class I'd suggest a 338 RUM.

Since it's a Savage I'd recommend doing the rebarrel your self. McGowan builds good tube for under $300 and made to your specs. I'd set it in a Stockade stock and call it a build.

God bless,

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.