Need input on a build.

ricknolan

I am thinking I might as well step up and have some real fun. So I am getting serious about building a gun. This is what I am thinking and would like you guys input. I have already ask a Smith that I trust for a quote. Maybe you guys can point me in a different direction on components or a Smith.

My goal is to build a sporter rifle capable of 1,000 yard kills on elk size critters. I plan to use a Nightforce scope on a 25 moa base.

HS Precision Sporter Stock, aluminum pillar bedded with Pachmayer pad.

A blue printed 700 long action.

26" Shilen chrome moly match barrel chambered in 338 EDGE w/ brake.

Jewell trigger, with scope base holes drilled and tapped to 8/40.

What else would you guys recommend? Thanks for your input.

If it was me, and the range was going to be out to 1000 yards, then I'd stretch that barrel out to 30".;) I'd also make sure the brake did not have any bottom holes or slots.

I'd also include a ScopLevel or a similar rail mounted product to eliminate cant which can kill you at those ranges.

Maybe a nice Harris Bipod with Podlock and possible a rear bag that can be packed in the field.

Don't know who your smith is but if it's definately going to be an Edge I'd go with either Shawn or Kirby and I know I'd sleep well at night having made that decision.

Also, if the country is really up or down, I'd install an ACI and get a Palm or pocket Pc with Exbal. That along with proven field data and that Edge will thump an elk for sure.;);)

I am talking with Score High Gunsmithing in Albuquerque, NM. He is a competent builder and has done work for me in the past. I am, however not opposed to talking to Shawn, Kirby or others.

Price does matter but will not be the first or only component of the package I look at. Does anyone know how to reach Shawn or Kirby if they see this and are interested in giving me a quote you can email or call, [email protected] or 405-650-2159. You can see what I am looking at and I am open to other recommendations.

Have not thought about a 30" barrel, with a brake it would be pretty long for a 5'5" hunter like myself. The Score Hi break does not have ports on the lower side making it very good shooting off the ground.

Thanks for the food for thought.

Last edited:
the only other thing to do is when you are done with it bring it up to ND and let me shoot it a few times. that way i will know what i want to so with mine that im planning....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.