SSG V Brake knew design

jimm,
On the shims, it would take shims .00009 in thickness to rotate one degree on 28 threads per inch, shims could probably be .001 as you would have some thread crunch for fine tuning so yes, shims would be a possibility but they would have to be custom made and would be far more expensive than shipping a gun to a smith and having it indexed properly... Plus the shims wouldn't look as nice.

I have made a lot of brakes in the the past, in fact I have made several for one gun (I have made spiral, hole pattern, straight hole pattern, 10 degree fwd. hole pattern. About 2 years ago I made a couple identical to Shawns 3-hole brake for a 7mm ultra, I have made the baffle brakes with no ports, ports on top and ports on bottom and have made tank style brakes. I even made a port style brake that all went out the top..that one was a flop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif when shooting from a standing position the barrel went down ...fast)
This "V" style brake I have been wanting to do for quite some time but just never made time so when a friend called me up and wanted a brake with a fish scale design to it that prompted this one.....so what have I learned from my experiance? A quiet brake and a maximum efficiency brake can only be put together in a silencer. I have no desire to make a quiet brake because they will never be quiet enough to shoot without plugs, so I prefer to go for efficiancy. I also have a pretty awesome silencer design, but that one will have to wait until I have a class 2 license. well enough jabbering and thanks for the kind words.

food for thought...brakes don't make a rifle any louder
they just redirect noise towards the shooter which in my mind is what you want in long range hunting as without a brake the noise is directed at what your shooting at and is more apt to alert the animal...this is not neccesarily scientific, just my experiance.

308nate

308 NATE,

Couldn't agree with you more on design in terms of quiet brake vs brake effectiveness, unless it is a good suppressor it is not going to be quiet enough nor will it work as well.

Hey Nate , what if a guy has a barrel thats already threaded for a 5/8-24" brake? would you have to cut off the end and rethread or could you just thread the brake for that thread pattern?
I've got a 28" barreled 280Ackley here thats either gonna get sold or rechambered to 7mmRUM and I think that if its rechambered that your brake would make a good complement

Re: SSG V Brake knew design tested

I thought I would report that I installed the first "V" brake on a 7mm STW.
The 7mm STW was about a 7 lb gun (I'm guessing) and recoil was unbearable after 2-3 shots! A friend brought his rifle out about two weeks ago and I installed the brake and then we headed outside to try it out, so Steve chambers a round and pulls the trigger and to my surprise he didn't appear to move from the recoil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif then with a grin on his face he hands me the gun and another round. So I loaded it up and away it went. Muzzle blast did not seem to be real bad in fact I didn't even feel the pressure change in my nostrals as with some very efficient brakes. In my excited state recoil seemed non existant, so then I give the gun back to Steve and he loads another round and tells me to watch the gun and see how much it moves. He holds the gun with two hands and not touching his shoulder and pulls the trigger. I was watching carefully and the rifle came back about 3/4 inch and the muzzle rose about 3/4 inch.
I believe Steve shot it a couple days later along side a .243 and was thinking the .243 kicked a little harder, so all in all this brake appears to be a success. I believe the load used was a 120gr. at over 3800 FPS.
FWIW
308nate
P.S Steve, feel free to add any info or correct any oversight on my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.