New mini X-tream brake by SSG

308 nate

Just thought I would share some pix of a new brake I just finished building.
Tomorrow I hope to get out and do some accuracy testing and get a video of some recoil reduction as Sat + Sun we will be in a full fledge blizzard with up to 40 below zero winchills...hhmmm maybe I should go coyote hunting :D .

I made a run in stainless and a couple in titanium. The stainless weighed 5oz. and the titanium was right at 3oz. this brake is ideal for
Sendero contours or barrels around .800 - .875 at the muzzle.

smallflatbrake.jpg

smallflatbrake2.jpg

smallflatbrake3.jpg

smallflatbrake5.jpg

Made it out yesterday to do some accuracy and recoil testing and it passed with flying colors!:cool: here are a few more pixs. I should have a few videos shortly.
Thanks for looking,
308nate

mxbrake1.jpg

mxbrake2.jpg

mxbrake3.jpg

Good shooting, good braking.

What cartridge and rifle weight is that?

Thanks Len.

Rifle weighs just over 14lbs. with scope, bipod and sling.

7-300wsm pushing 180 Berger's at 3,030fps.
The only rifle I had to do a quick test. I wanted to make sure I didn't have too much porting out the top, but it seems to move real straight and doesn't seem to kick down. I would much rather see a little rise than kick down. Should be testing this shortly on a new 30 cal. (308nate) I'm designing. This brake should work perfect for my new cartridge.

308nate

Very nice , that is about the same weight as my 308 and it certainly looks like it kicks less running those 180 Bergers out at 3000+fps than my 308 does shooting a 168gr at 2700fps , very impressive.

so what about this 30 cal , I'm thinking that my next rig will be a lighter weight longer range hunting gun , I'd like to shoot some of the new Henson 180gr bullets out in the 3200+ range , that combined with a BC in the .700 range should be able to get me to a mile on deer?
Was origionaly thinking a 30-338 Lapua improved but I'll wait and see what your cooking up

Very nice , that is about the same weight as my 308 and it certainly looks like it kicks less running those 180 Bergers out at 3000+fps than my 308 does shooting a 168gr at 2700fps , very impressive.

so what about this 30 cal , I'm thinking that my next rig will be a lighter weight longer range hunting gun , I'd like to shoot some of the new Henson 180gr bullets out in the 3200+ range , that combined with a BC in the .700 range should be able to get me to a mile on deer?
Was origionaly thinking a 30-338 Lapua improved but I'll wait and see what your cooking up

James,
It's not a 30-338 Lapua improved, but itshould have about the same performance with a little less powder. I'm thinking 180's will go over 33 in a 26" tube.Will be testing shortly.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts