Springfield Pistols

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I know this has nothing to do with LRH so sorry ahead of time. After going on the last couple of hog hunts I have decided that I am in need of a sidearm. I have always liked 45 ACP but I want to get soomething that if need be my wife could shoot.

At my families shop we have a Sprinfield Extreme Duty 40S&amp;W that I am thinking about adopting. What do you guys think, will it have enough punch to work against wounded hogs with a good stiff 180gr HP????

Thanks
Steve

which extreme duty are you geting? the 40 is gonna have some recoil in a compact/ sub compact sized frame.

i would go with the compensated one or the tactical just to keep muzzle rise to a min.

i have a taurus milenium in 40 and it is a wrist breaker.

d-a

I have a Springfield V-16 Longslide its a 1911 A1 with a 6" ported barrel and slide. This model I believe is discontinued but you can still find them. The V-16 is factory ready, to shoot the 45 Super, 308 win chopped and reamed (I think). Starline brass is readily available.

She's a bit loud but then again so is any pistol. With the weight and the porting it the recoil is less than a standard 40 S&amp;W.

They also made this the V-10(4" I think) and V-12(5")

I do prefer Glock to Sringfield when It comes to utility pistols.

I used to use a Springfield NM customized by Wilson's as my backup, but now I use a Glock 40 exclusively, mainly due to the fact I do not want to go romping in the wilderness with a $2.5k pistol. I have 'finished' off several whitetails with the 45 ACP and 40 S&amp;W. From my personal experience, the 40 is better. I have shot deer with Ranger Talons, Hydra-Shoks and various JHPs with the 45; I have shot three deer with the 40, two with the WW 180 gr JHPs and one with the Golden Sabers. The deer shot with the Golden Sabers was the first time I have had a bullet exit through a deer's skull. It actually blew out brain matter while completely breaking the cranium in a circular fashion through the eye sockets. I only carry Golden Sabers now to say the least.

I have only shot hogs with a 44 mag and 22 WMR. Then again, I only take head shots on hogs. I would not hesitate to use the Golden Sabers on hogs out of a Springfield or any other 40 with a 3.5"+ barrel. Recoil in the Springfield XDs I have fired recoil less than any other brand I have tried.

I vote for the XD with RP GSs!

If you look at the energy that both the 40 and the 45 create your not talking but few pounds , not enough to make a differance. What is going to make the differance is the bullet desgine.
I carry a Glock 21 which is the 45ACP , I chose this gun not for the caliber but for the grip fit , I got a big paw the the large frame glock fits me better , if the 40 had the same size grip thats what I would carry.
If your looking for a gun thats going to be a charge stopper then your in the wrong class altogether , the 40 and the 45 are both well nkown fight stoppers but shooting s person and a hog are totaly differant situations.
With the propper bullet ie a stout 150-180 class the 40 will do a decient job as opposed to the lighter ones but so will the 45 if the correct bullet is used.
If your going to be walking up to a pig thats laying their and shoot it in the head then a 22lr will work but if your going rooting around for a wounded tusker then your looking for trouble from the start and I personaly would rather have something in the 44mag or at least a hot 10mm.

The XD's are good pistols though , I've shot several and they perform well , I have had my Glock for 10yrs now and have probably 35,000+ ropunds through it and when it come time to deffend my life or protect yours thats whats gonna be in my holster. I have a couple custom 1911's and I like the hell out of them but I woulden't trust my life with one if I had a choice.
Check out the Cor-Bon web site , they offer a solid copper bullet made by Barnes I think and its supposed to be a good deep penitrating round

JDJones,

You ever consider converting your G21 to 400 Cor-Bon. Mine was stolen a couple years ago. I've have two three die sets, a pile of brass (Starline Brass &amp; formed ACP brass) all of which are primed and most are loaded. I'll give you or anyone for that matter a smokin deal on.

Yea I thought about ordering the 45acp but i am afraid that with a stiff loaded 230gr bullet my wife will be terrified to shoot it.

I think I am gonna go with the 40sw

should work fine

thanks
steve

My wife loves shooting her Glock 31C in .357 sig and compensated.
She says the recoil isnt too much. She has shot my G32 and doesnt like it as much, but will still shoot it occasionally.
Recoil difference between the .40 and .357 isnt enough for me to tell, although the perceived recoil from my Para .45ACP is less.
Dont want to make her mad! She can shoot any of them as good as I can.(Rifles too for that matter)
Don't know if that helps, just FYI.
My .02

Lerch , the recoil thing is kinda funny , I got my wife a m23 glock for her personal carry and play and in its standard 40 cal form it has alot more snap than my 45 does , the 45 has a smoother kinda roling push where the higher velocity rounds like the 9mm and 40 cal have a quick snap , I swapped the barrels out on hers for a 357 Sig she likes it alot better and on paper its a better man stopper.

I have a 400 Cor-Bon barrel as well as a 45 Super barrel for my 21. I have the 400 barrel loned out to a budy thats probably gonna buy it , I wasen't to impressed with it , the 45 super on the other hand , holy cow , is about all I can say for that , I reload my own pretty hot , I'm not even gonna post my velocities but it definatly puts it in the mag class. The recoil is very stout and I even wen up 4lbs heaver than reccommended on the spring.

I guess basicaly you have to ask yourself what exactly are you wanting this gun to do ? personaly defense? targets or a charge stopper for the poor mans grizzly and trust me if a 200lb boar ever gets a man on the ground I honestly believe that your chances of survival would be better with a grizz , those pigs just don't stop , I had one work on a dog that he had killed for over an hour before we could get a rifle to kill it

I realize everyone wants an auto to keep the homestead safe, but I must say your needs seem to beg for a 357 Mag. I know, everyone shuns the wheelguns. A 4" 357 Mag will drop a hog in a second, be more accurate than most semi's and you can load 38's in it to keep the wife happy on the range. If she's ever in a stressful situation and needs to use it she'll never feel the 357's you keep in it. Most gunfights are decided in the first 3 rounds, I'd rather them be 357 mag than just about anything else. I carry my airweight 38 more than anyhting else. My .02

I have nothing but good things to say about the XD-40 and the 40 S&amp;W round. Ive had 2 differant 40's but 1 XD and it rocks. Its SUPER accurate meaning at 12 yards it shoots clover leaf groups out of the box! A good stiff 180 HP ought a do the trick.

THANK GOD THEIR PISTOLS ARE BETTER THAN THEIR SCOPES!!

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I thought about ordering the 45acp but i am afraid that with a stiff loaded 230gr bullet my wife will be terrified to shoot it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the whole thread but I read the first post and I read what I quoted here and I would like to chime in.

I have a Springfield .45 compact. The one with the officers length grip and the 4" bbl in stainless. I can attest that my wife likes shooting it with 230 gr Hydrashoks better than she likes shooting her .38 special S&amp;W LadySmith ss. She finds the S&amp;W too snappy and it hurts her wrists to shoot it even using a solid iscocoles or weaver stance. She keeps the .45 by her pillow when camping and I get the .357.

I'll bet that unless your wife is very slight of frame or has wrist problems anyway that if you got a normal weight .40 or .45 and she was instructed on the correct way to control recoil that she would do just fine. Given the propper opperating training and the correct willingness to use it, of course.

I have 1911's for the house and protection carry but at the ranch where we carry all of the time for feral hogs---the 329 S&amp;W. Made to be carried a lot and shot little!! Without a doubt the easiest gun I have ever carried!! Will put a hurting on Porky for sure if needed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.