10mm pistol

mark5840

I'm planning on buying a 10mm pistol and wanted advice on people's preferences. I plan to use it to shoot black bears over bait. I'm leaning towards sig sauer, but love the advice from all of you!
Thanks

The sigs are an amazing firearm and I own a few of them. I also have a Glock 29 but that's kinda just my side arm. For actually hunting with you'll want a little longer barrel as it will help with aiming and velocity. Glock20? Glock 40? Sig P220? XDM? The Sig will be twice as much as the others I mentioned. If you know anyone that owns any 10mm shoot them and see how you like them.

Glock 40 MOS or if you want something more weighty and 'special', an EAA/Tanfoglio Hunter. I've got the similar Tanfo Stock III for my USPSA/3-gun pistol and it's amazing.

Yes if you can shoot a friends or used to be some ranges would rent a gun, don't know if they do that anymore with shortages and covid. I've got a G20 that I shoot fine but my brother doesn't, he's real good with my Delta Elite, so try and see what works for you before you buy.

Last edited:

This is the video that made me decide I wanted a 6" slide for the increase in velocity. I ended up with the Glock 40 because of the ease of adding an optic. I would handle one first, it fits big in the hand.

5.5-6" barrel
I had a ria ultramatch 6" for a year ( doublestack 16+1) I ditched it for an xdm osp due to the weight difference

I was getting 1320fps from a 200gr hardcast in the ria, I'm at 1280 in the osp

Lots of good suggestions here. All are valid, but there is an elephant in the room stomping his feet and demanding to be heard, so I am going to address it. Why a 10MM? I carry a 6"one constantly in the woods. It is a good gun. I know what it will do, and its limitations. I carry it along with a rifle. It's very handy, and not much trouble to carry. Whenever I hunt with a pistol as a primary weapon it stays at home. My favorite hunting handgun is a .44 magnum with Keith's old load of a 250gr SWC @1500fps. Still low enough recoil to shoot well and blast isn't crippling to the shooter. It has twice the power of a 10MM but still is no rifle. You might ask "What difference does it make?" Dead is dead. This is true. Double lung him and the 10 will kill him. The difference is unless you have a CNS hit, there is something like a 90% chance he is going to run off. Bears have a habit of leaving really sorry blood trails. That trail most likely will be both better and shorter with the .44. Something to think long and hard about. I want a short blood trail if I have to follow one, and I want to find him dead at the end of it. I'm getting too old to be chasing animals in thick brush, especially if they bite.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.