10mm pistol

Lots of good suggestions here. All are valid, but there is an elephant in the room stomping his feet and demanding to be heard, so I am going to address it. Why a 10MM? I carry a 6"one constantly in the woods. It is a good gun. I know what it will do, and its limitations. I carry it along with a rifle. It's very handy, and not much trouble to carry. Whenever I hunt with a pistol as a primary weapon it stays at home. My favorite hunting handgun is a .44 magnum with Keith's old load of a 250gr SWC @1500fps. Still low enough recoil to shoot well and blast isn't crippling to the shooter. It has twice the power of a 10MM but still is no rifle. You might ask "What difference does it make?" Dead is dead. This is true. Double lung him and the 10 will kill him. The difference is unless you have a CNS hit, there is something like a 90% chance he is going to run off. Bears have a habit of leaving really sorry blood trails. That trail most likely will be both better and shorter with the .44. Something to think long and hard about. I want a short blood trail if I have to follow one, and I want to find him dead at the end of it. I'm getting too old to be chasing animals in thick brush, especially if they bite.
OP didn't ask about other cartridges, just 10mm--- this could very well turn into a cartridge debate just like most 10mm threads do .

Lots of good suggestions here. All are valid, but there is an elephant in the room stomping his feet and demanding to be heard, so I am going to address it. Why a 10MM? I carry a 6"one constantly in the woods. It is a good gun. I know what it will do, and its limitations. I carry it along with a rifle. It's very handy, and not much trouble to carry. Whenever I hunt with a pistol as a primary weapon it stays at home. My favorite hunting handgun is a .44 magnum with Keith's old load of a 250gr SWC @1500fps. Still low enough recoil to shoot well and blast isn't crippling to the shooter. It has twice the power of a 10MM but still is no rifle. You might ask "What difference does it make?" Dead is dead. This is true. Double lung him and the 10 will kill him. The difference is unless you have a CNS hit, there is something like a 90% chance he is going to run off. Bears have a habit of leaving really sorry blood trails. That trail most likely will be both better and shorter with the .44. Something to think long and hard about. I want a short blood trail if I have to follow one, and I want to find him dead at the end of it. I'm getting too old to be chasing animals in thick brush, especially if they bite.
Thanks for the thoughtful, extensive reply. I have a 44 magnum and you are correct nothing beats it. I've just always wanted a 10mm and wanted to see everyone's thoughts on which manufacturers they would suggest. I'm hunting black bears over bait, so I'm right on top of them. My son used a 40 and had zero issues. I thought that was risky, but he never lost one. I'm just adding to my safe and have always wanted a 10mm. This forum is the very best and I have upmost respect for the folks on here. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help point me in the right direction!

Thanks for the thoughtful, extensive reply. I have a 44 magnum and you are correct nothing beats it. I've just always wanted a 10mm and wanted to see everyone's thoughts on which manufacturers they would suggest. I'm hunting black bears over bait, so I'm right on top of them. My son used a 40 and had zero issues. I thought that was risky, but he never lost one. I'm just adding to my safe and have always wanted a 10mm. This forum is the very best and I have upmost respect for the folks on here. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help point me in the right direction!
No doubt there a lot of pistols that Trump even the .44 magnum let alone the 10mm. Nobody said just one pistol handles every need. I say use what's best for the job and one you shoot the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.