Spotting Scope vs higher power rifle scope for backpack hunts

Cool,been by the cabinets many times just not in them.Always heard they had big muley

the old swaro 25-40x75 you refer to? If weight is a concern, if I read right, they are like 40 ounces or more. Wouldnt something like a little Kowa 554 Prominar with the Florite Glass at 28 ounces be a better compact option? Most reviews I read say it nearly equals the clarity and resolution as many 65mm quality spotters.
I have a older 20x and compact 11x33 vortex razor spotting scopes. I have tried everything on the market. I am a sheep hunted so I carry minox or swaro bins and a revolving door of spotting scopes.
The most important item are the binoculars- I don't compromise on these.
Honestly, the older bushnell 20x fixed spotting scope has been used to verify when the more expensive variables were iffy. Better in the wind too.
I think we need one extraordinary rifle and a pick up box full of optics.
Any hunter that can't beg , borrow or buy cheap bins should not be out there, imo

I have a older 20x and compact 11x33 vortex razor spotting scopes. I have tried everything on the market. I am a sheep hunted so I carry minox or swaro bins and a revolving door of spotting scopes.
The most important item are the binoculars- I don't compromise on these.
Honestly, the older bushnell 20x fixed spotting scope has been used to verify when the more expensive variables were iffy. Better in the wind too.
I think we need one extraordinary rifle and a pick up box full of optics.
Any hunter that can't beg , borrow or buy cheap bins should not be out there, imo

It took many years before I started using binoculars. Never the less I didn't "scope" the country side. I certainly could have afforded quality binoculars if I knew their value.

You have your opinion and guys like me have ours.

It took many years before I started using binoculars. Never the less I didn't "scope" the country side. I certainly could have afforded quality binoculars if I knew their value.

You have your opinion and guys like me have ours.
No probs ,as long as a guy doesn't pan the landscape...in the west we use optics, it is a must.cheers

You make mistake after mistake. Maybe instead of making bold declarations you could ask questions. I try to get away from others.

There is no questions to ask. Every person who is serious about being a successful hunter in the western states on public lands knows good optics are a must. Binoculars are a no brainer necessity. Spotting scope is a really good idea as well. I honestly dont care if you dont want to use binoculars or a spotting scope. To each their own. Just means there will be more animals left alive for the rest of us because you never saw them while out hunting ;)

Last edited:
What game do you hunt, Rich?
Here, we hunt male species only, and there are antler and horn restrictions
For example, 6 point bull elk minimum- a 5 point is not allowed. It is key that a hunter assesses it. All other species have different requirements.

I hope you know I was only poking a little fun at you Rich ;)

But seriously, if you ever decide to use a set of GOOD binoculars and a nice spotting scope you will see what a huge difference it makes in open country out west. I remember the first time is started using a spotting scope after years of being without one. I couldnt believe how many more animals I was finding! Then the thought crossed my mind of how many animals I never saw before having a good spotter. I honestly cussed myself a little bit for not using a spotting scope sooner because by my guess I had probably missed seeing hundreds of animals over the years! It really makes that much of a difference. Using binoculars instead of a riflescope has the same effect. You have no idea what you are missing out in the field until you start using the glass.

Does it take more effort and add more weight to pack the extra glass? Yes.
Does it cost a lot more money? Yes.
Does it really make enough of a difference to be worth the extra effort and expense? For me, absolutely 100% yes. For someone hunting in Louisiana or Texas, maybe not as the country is flat and often has dense brush and forests.

Basically if you can view very distant landscapes that may hold game, you will be better off having a good spotter and binoculars. Anyone who thinks otherwise is only fooling themselves.

Last edited:
There is no questions to ask. Every person who is serious about being a successful hunter in the western states on public lands knows good optics are a must. Binoculars are a no brainer necessity. Spotting scope is a really good idea as well. I honestly dont care if you dont want to use binoculars or a spotting scope. To each their own. Just means there will be more animals left alive for the rest of us because you never saw them while out hunting ;)

Again you made a mistake. You assumed I don't use binoculars. Over the last few years I have tried several brands and powers.

What game do you hunt, Rich?
Here, we hunt male species only, and there are antler and horn restrictions
For example, 6 point bull elk minimum- a 5 point is not allowed. It is key that a hunter assesses it. All other species have different requirements.

Deer, both bucks and does. "Does" can be spikes. Also elk. Some have to be spike and other units require three points or more. I prefer the meat of cows over bulls. I always get a bear tag and a cougar tag, just in case. Occasionally I hunt coyotes and Jack rabbits.

I believe a huge difference between the scopes is the variances of "weight" and where it is packed on body....
A good set of binos can be carried in several positions and weight seldom becomes a deterance of carrying said item....but weight does matter in long hikes.......
a spotting scope..i say most often inside the backpack or along the side of it..so weight does matter depending upon packing position and accessibility...always have to take the backpack off to get to it......
A scoped rifle...the bigger the scope most often it's weight goes up too...
HAVE TO HAVE a comfortable place to hang or pack that rifle..and with lots of guys on here claiming 11 or 12# rifles aren't heavy......BS....
With everything else loaded to hike everything eventually gets heavy...even my eyelids.....
I carry Leupold.....switchpower binos..10-17..work very well..my scopes vary as do my rifles(nothing is 10#)..spotting scope only if I plan on extra days in......
Never the less........good glass rules......

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.