Spotting Scope vs higher power rifle scope for backpack hunts

So recently, I was reading reviews about a particular scope (Leupold VX6 7-42x56) and quite a few of the comments had me intrigued: basically stating that they found the higher zoom capability to be enough that they were leaving their spotting scopes at home on trips when weight mattered....

Is this a new thing? Anyone else here doing this? Essentially foregoing the spotting scope altogether, and just getting a rifle scope that can do "double duty"?

Here is the math: typical "hunting" scope (2x6, 3x9, 4x14, etc) is going to be between 10oz and 22oz. Then a typical 30, 45, or 65 power spotting scope is going to weigh in anywhere from 30 to 80 ounces for the "compact" or lightweight models. Between your hunting scope and a good spotter, that is a lot of pounds on your feet...

Instead, a scope like the Leupold gives one a 42 power zoom level, and only weighs 25 ounces. Or a scope like the "March Optics 10-60x52" only weighs 26 ounces... which would shave off a pound or two compared to the option of carrying a regular rifle scope plus a spotter.

I believe the most common approach is to have a quality set of 8-10 power binos (for wide field of view). Then a quality spotter for picking out critters that the binos quite didn't have the power for. Then a quality rifle scope for taking the shot.

I tend to only use a spotter when I need to make sure a critter is worth making a trip across some vast valley to get in on, or to count tines to verify its legality, or to pick out an ear or hoof sticking out of a stand of sage brush to identify a bedded buck... However, could this be accomplished just as well with a better riflescope?

Pros and Cons?
The magnification is one thing but I think the bell objective is where the spotting scope will beat a rifle scope. Most spotting scope are going to have larger then a 56mm bell objective if memory serves me correctly. I'm not an engineer but I believe the spotting scope will have less lens so the clarity and brightness will be better too. I've yet to see a rifle scope that beats a spotting scope in clarity and brightness. They maybe out there but I've yet to look through one. The reason why I don't carry my spotting scope during hunts is I'm more of a meat hunter now. But if I pulled a tag where a true trophy was the priority I'd carry my spotting scope. That's the main reason why I got it in the first place.

I would completely disagree with anyone that says a riflescope can replace a good spotting scope.

A spotting scope is much more useful in the field if you know how to use it properly. I carry a nice set of 10x42 binoculars (just purchased Leica Noctivid) for scanning mountainsides and picking out critters that are more clearly visible. I will break out the spotter (Swarovski ATX) if I see animals at ranges the binoculars cannot make out details on. But I will also sit down for long glassing sessions with my spotter scanning all the nooks and crannies and dark shadows under trees at long ranges. I have found more bedded and partially hidden animals that my binoculars missed than I can remember by spending long periods behind the spotter.

A riflescope would be ok if you only want to have a quick look at an animal you have already located with binoculars, but it would very ineffective and uncomfortable for scanning to find hidden critters.

I tried leaving the spotting scope behind a couple times over the years whike heading into the high country thinking my 4.5-30x riflescope would be good enough. Both times I ended up cussing myself for not bringing the spotter. Never again. In my opinion from many years of hunting high country in the Rocky Mountains, wide open plains, and river breaks of Montana, there is no riflescope on the planet that can replace a good spotting scope for if you want to have a higher success rate at trophy hunting.

I like doing everything possible to increase my chances on bucks like this one I took 2 years ago. A good spotting scope is an absolute "must have" in my book. I spent 4 days on this hunt and what seemed like endless hours behind my spotting scope before finally locating this Bruin in his bed then ultimately making the stock and putting him to rest. 201-2/8" B&C

View attachment 129118
Well said.

The magnification is one thing but I think the bell objective is where the spotting scope will beat a rifle scope. Most spotting scope are going to have larger then a 56mm bell objective if memory serves me correctly. I'm not an engineer but I believe the spotting scope will have less lens so the clarity and brightness will be better too. I've yet to see a rifle scope that beats a spotting scope in clarity and brightness. They maybe out there but I've yet to look through one. The reason why I don't carry my spotting scope during hunts is I'm more of a meat hunter now. But if I pulled a tag where a true trophy was the priority I'd carry my spotting scope. That's the main reason why I got it in the first place.
Lots of "compact" spotting scopes on the market in the 50mm range, or like the little Kowa 55mm. Side by side, are they still going to have an advantage in clarity/resolution over something like the quality glass in a MARCH 10-60x56 HighMaster?

Speaking of which, how come they can make a 26-32 ounce 60 or 80 power rifle scope, but spotting scopes in that power range are 2 or 3 times heavier?

Lots of "compact" spotting scopes on the market in the 50mm range, or like the little Kowa 55mm. Side by side, are they still going to have an advantage in clarity/resolution over something like the quality glass in a MARCH 10-60x56 HighMaster?

Speaking of which, how come they can make a 26-32 ounce 60 or 80 power rifle scope, but spotting scopes in that power range are 2 or 3 times heavier?
You'd have to compare them yourself. I tried some compact spotting scopes twenty years ago and got rid of them. At that time Schotts glass was top tier or close to it. My very old IOR spotter has glass good enough for bird watchers so the clarity is good enough for me. As far as the weight issue that is why I don't carry a spotting scope, I just don't want to carry the weight. And for me I spot more game by movement than details like tips of horn or ears. So that's why a good set of binos works for me. And though I can hunt areas where it's a good poke, I predominately hunt in forest areas of the Pac NW. So my area most likely will be a few hundred yards in the mountains. In any case I wouldn't use a 10-60X56 scope on my hunting rifle. I may shoot offhand or kneeling far more than prone so I like a handy rifle without all that weight. It's just different priorities and styles of hunting/ shooting.

packgoatguy I see that you're up in Idaho, I'm in Eastern Oregon. Some of the terrain we hunt, or have hunted is similar. This is what I've learned over the years, you have to figure out your priorities. If you get a good deal, or a compromise to fit the job then it might not work well. So if clarity/ resolution is the goal then get a high quality HD spotting scope. Yeah it might be heavy but a good pack can compensate for that. My Eberlestock has a pocket just for spotting scopes. When varmint hunting I'd carry my PSS in the pack, spotting scope, tripod, calls, food, tons of ammo, and other junk. My pack must of weighed close to 75 lbs. And in my hands I'd walk with my AR15 for close to mid ranges shots. But big game I lighten up quite a bit. I'm getting older and lazier lol. I just don't the extra weight if I have to pack out of a nasty canyon.

I think the rifle scopes are lighter because people demand it.There is a good reivew on Kowa by a archery shop.I started with a 12-45x60 Leo,and it is still my most used scope,just a good size.I early on got a 10-20x40 Leo before that .And for the plains hunting I have a Kowa 774 with 20-60 eye,but use the 30 wide the most.Dont pack it or have as much because does not fit in my jeep center console,leo does.When going light in my early years I used a doubler on my 10 swaro to look across canyon,the ones im in are 1 -3 miles across

Scopes are lighter because the bodies are smaller and there is less glass in the center. Simply look at the physical size and the answer is obvious.

Nikon, Bushnell, and Zeiss all made or make 'pack' spotters that aren't mich bigger than a large riflescope. I think the view through them isn't much better than a riflescope so I've never had the desire to purchase one.
528007_1_800x.jpg

The larger objectives and prisms in spotting scopes allow more light transfer and larger sweet spots in the glass. Then the large fine focus mechanisms allow a person to dial in the best detail. Althougg I will admit that some of the 34mm scopes are pretty impressive in low light. My 4.5-30x56 Trijcon Accupower is insanely bright in low light for a riflescope. It literally seems like it has artificial illumination. It produces a very noticeably brighter picture in low light than I can make out with my naked eyes at any range. As bright as it is tho, it still cant compete with a top of the line large objective spotting scope set on lower power mag levels

Last edited:
Has anyone had success pairing a high quality binocular with a monocular to increase the power? (as a lightweight alternative to a real spotting scope) I know Zeiss makes an adapter for mating their monoculars with their binos. Just curious if it is more of a novelty, or if you can get decent resolution doing this.

It's probably more of a gimmick than anything else. Most likely good enough for the average sight seer. Here's what I have learned from guides and serious hunters that use spotting scopes. For picking out game by carefully searching terrain (scanning) they try to get the best glass they can. Because they've compared glass side by side and missed game because they couldn't see it compared to other spotters. So if you intention is to search for game using a spotter then I'd get the best glass you can. Depending on the distance a compact spotter might be good enough to judge if a buck or bull is worth the effort for you. But again the best glass you can afford will perform that task better.

Anyone tried the ultra-compact KOWA TSN 500 line spotters? Don't have quite the glass as the big brother 550 series, but its only 14 ounces instead of 28 ounces, and $350 instead of $1600. How would it compare glass-wise to the Leupold Gold Ring 10-20, or the Razor 11-33?

A former student of mine brought the Leupold you spoke of and it's barely good enough to look at targets at the range. From what I've read in this article I doubt the Razor is what you need too. http://gilavalleyoutdoor.com/vortex-razor-hd-11-33x50-spotting-scope-review/ And at $350 for the Kowa well,... I hate to be the barer of bad news. But I've spent good money before only to be disappointed. I think that compact spotter I posted is more in line with what you need.

A former student of mine brought the Leupold you spoke of and it's barely good enough to look at targets at the range. From what I've read in this article I doubt the Razor is what you need too. http://gilavalleyoutdoor.com/vortex-razor-hd-11-33x50-spotting-scope-review/ And at $350 for the Kowa well,... I hate to be the barer of bad news. But I've spent good money before only to be disappointed. I think that compact spotter I posted is more in line with what you need.
the old swaro 25-40x75 you refer to? If weight is a concern, if I read right, they are like 40 ounces or more. Wouldnt something like a little Kowa 554 Prominar with the Florite Glass at 28 ounces be a better compact option? Most reviews I read say it nearly equals the clarity and resolution as many 65mm quality spotters.

The Kowa 554 Prominar at 1700 bucks is quite a difference then the Kowa TSN 500 series scopes at 350 bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.