Spotting Scope vs higher power rifle scope for backpack hunts

The Kowa 554 Prominar at 1700 bucks is quite a difference then the Kowa TSN 500 series scopes at 350 bucks.
not really looking at cost at this point. Just comparing to find the overall best tool for the job. I think my personal criteria would weigh the "weight" of the scope as almost as importantly as the clarity. I know a "heavier" scope is just going to get left home when push comes to shove... where a lighter weight one might make it into my pack. Biggest issue I have with the Kowa 550 vs the 500 isn't the cost, its the fact that one is double the weight of the other. That 14 ounces is a ton of weight difference in my book.

I've never looked through either. But at 350 bucks I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be worth it. 16 oz is 1 lb. If I were going to carry a spotter into the woods I'd carry that extra weight or leave the spotter home.

I've never looked through either. But at 350 bucks I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be worth it. 16 oz is 1 lb. If I were going to carry a spotter into the woods I'd carry that extra weight or leave the spotter home.
Not sure. Ive got a 15-45x60 Bushnell Elite... relatively cheap/not a high quality scope by any stretch... decent truck scope imo. But when I put it side by side with my Leupold V6 7-42x56, the resolution/light/image quality seems to be very comparable. So, unless one is trying to calculate the antler size/trophy score at 1000 yards... I wonder if a lighter/cheaper scope would do the job for some

not really looking at cost at this point. Just comparing to find the overall best tool for the job. I think my personal criteria would weigh the "weight" of the scope as almost as importantly as the clarity. I know a "heavier" scope is just going to get left home when push comes to shove... where a lighter weight one might make it into my pack. Biggest issue I have with the Kowa 550 vs the 500 isn't the cost, its the fact that one is double the weight of the other. That 14 ounces is a ton of weight difference in my book.

I have an older Japanese Nikon Fieldscope ED 60mm spotter I might sell you. Small and lightweight with awesome glass. I have the 20x and 40x fixed power eyepieces for it as well as a 20-45x zoom eyepiece on the way. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Here's some photos of the spotter and the view through the 20X and 40X fixed eyepieces. Actual images through the scope are much more crisp and vivid. My smartphone camera can't fully capture the awesome image it delivers. But I tried my best to give you an 'idea' of the view. Havent received the zoom eyepiece yet so no pictures of through that eyepiece.

20190405_091725.jpg

View with 20X fixed power eyepiece of a house across the mountain at 1200 yards and a stop sign down the street at 100 yards. The ED glass delivers awesome resolution and color rendition.
20190405_090350.jpg

20190405_090536.jpg

View of the same two objects with the 40X fixed power eyepiece installed.
20190405_091005.jpg

20190405_091359.jpg

Yup I have an older Meopta that I offered up. 25-40x70mm Schotts glass. It's pretty amazing too.

I have an older Japanese Nikon Fieldscope ED 60mm spotter I might sell you. Small and lightweight with awesome glass. I have the 20x and 40x fixed power eyepieces for it as well as a 20-45x zoom eyepiece on the way. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Here's some photos of the spotter and the view through the 20X and 40X fixed eyepieces. Actual images through the scope are much more crisp and vivid. My smartphone camera can't fully capture the awesome image it delivers. But I tried my best to give you an 'idea' of the view. Havent received the zoom eyepiece yet so no pictures of through that eyepiece.

View attachment 129495

View with 20X fixed power eyepiece of a house across the mountain at 1200 yards and a stop sign down the street at 100 yards. The ED glass delivers awesome resolution and color rendition.
View attachment 129496
View attachment 129497

View of the same two objects with the 40X fixed power eyepiece installed.
View attachment 129498
View attachment 129499
what does a spotter like that weigh with one of the eye pieces?

I think fixed eye pieces from that time offered more field of view. but I can't remember.

I would not be happy with someone viewing me through his rifle scope.
I carry the very best binoculars and a compact spotting scope on all hunts and have a compact 2 x7 on my rifles.

Packed my old leo 12-40x60 on alot of hunts,would like to go smaller.Like the length only 12.5 but its 36 oz.Drilldog see youre in the Fish

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.