Some Piece of equipment you feel is overly hyped

The funny thing is, you don't get any of those types of things you are talking about in a $200 scope. That's why you are paying for the "ultimate glass quality." You are correct about nothing being useful if it is an unreliable scope. I think you are making my point hahah. Also, I think i understand what you're trying to say but in a long range hunting scenario, quality glass is exactly that. It IS reliable. It has been tested and proved for decades. That's why people buy it. I think there is a place for quality glass in scopes.

I am very happy you have has success with reasonable pricepoint scopes by the way. But as stated before, my personal experience shows cheap scopes are unreliable at filling tags.
I may have worded my original response poorly. I'm not advocating for $200 scopes (I maybe should have said $400, that gets you into HD glass)

I see people posting stuff like;
"I'm looking at scopes A,B and C, which has the best glass quality?"

What might be more useful is;
"Scopes A,B, and C have reticles that work for the type of shooting I do, which will have the best zero retention, and dial reliably?"

In field use any of the scopes in their price range would have adequate glass quality, but none of them would be dead reliable.

Last edited:
"Quality Glass" the price point well exceeds the cost of internals no company is going to splurge on the glass and put poor quality internals in what a way to go out of business in a big way.
I feel like the industry is the exact opposite, and glass quality far exceeds reliability. I suppose it depends on what one qualifies as "reliable." I would bet more shots are missed because of a scope that didn't hold zero, than a shot being missed because the glass wasn't clear enough.

Yes ,clarity is always good...the point a few of us are making is we (royal we) are not talking about 4-5 or 600 dollar units we are talking about 2- 3-4 or more thousand dollar scopes and it is a Long Range Hunting site, so many posters contributing probably do have scopes worth as much or more than the rifle it's mounted on.
You can buy value lines from scope makers, but....and maybe the distinction wasn't coming thru...you get what you pay for...lay out the cash and you get the glass and the internals.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the guys I used to hunt with, who happened to also be "the one" who always seemed to shoot big bucks, smoked like a chimney while sitting in his (open) treestand.
The ground around his stand was always littered with cig butts, yet he always seemed to shoot something and they were usually big.

Yeah, play the wind or stay home.
My hunting partner is like that.
I've watched this F-er say "getting bored and cold. Time to light a Marlboro and shoot a deer."
3 mins later BANG!
Trophy deer (or bear or turkey or hog or... you get the idea)
EVERY.
F-ING TIME.
It gets really old I tell ya.
Insufferable in fact.
On another note I decided to start smoking for the 2024 hunting season.

30+ years ago the owner of the shop that I worked in taught me to look at leaves on a tree at some distance. He had me start in the middle of the glass and get the leaves sharp, then move the scope so that the leaves are at the EDGE to the glass. He also taught me to do this test at both extremes of any variable power setting, and to preferably do all of this shopping at dusk or close to it. Most any semi-decent glass grinder can produce lens' that give a sharp image in the middle of the lens, but only a really good grinder can give you the same image all the way across the lens at any power setting.
Now that's some quality advice right there.
*Tips hat*

Anyone who has spent any serious time in the field behind Swaro glass would have A VERY hard time saying they are overhyped.
Looking through any optic in a store is a waste of time.

my list would be:
  • Anything Creedmoor or PRC
  • Hammer Bullets
  • SWFA scopes
  • Anything the supporters on Rokslide say (Geesh what a cult over there)
I've spent some time looking through swaro glass. But it is through swaro binos. I've not had the need to look through a rifle scope for very long, that's what binos are for.

buzby ....you don't "GLASS" with your scope but any conscientious shooter will definitely look beyond his target with the higher power optic on his rifle before they shoot, and a high quality optics allow you to see.

You seem to think that many just use thier scopes to sweep the hunting fields to look for game, if that's the kind of people you have around you, might I suggest you find a safer group, to associate with, because I wasn't trained that way nor do those I encounter, there is a lethal device attached to that optical device and they know it.

buzby ....you don't "GLASS" with your scope but any conscientious shooter will definitely look beyond his target with the higher power optic on his rifle before they shoot, and a high quality optics allow you to see.

You seem to think that many just use thier scopes to sweep the hunting fields to look for game, if that's the kind of people you have around you, might I suggest you find a safer group, to associate with, because I wasn't trained that way nor do those I encounter, there is a lethal device attached to that optical device and they know it.
That's exactly my point. Rifle scopes aren't for glassing. All my glassing is done before I mount the rifle. I certainly know what lies behind before I point a rifle at it. At that point it's just putting crosshairs on an animal, and it's doesn't take tier 1 glass quality to do that.

Are you suggesting with marginally lower quality glass, you might shoot something you didn't intend to?

Tier 1 reliability > Tier 1 glass quality

I think too many people prioritize glass quality over reliability on a rifle scope.

Last edited:
That is most ridiculous response I have ever heard.

$3000 or more for a rifle capable of sub moa at a 1000 yards...a few thousands in attendant support gear for the upcoming hunt and laying in shooting supplies to bring it all together...Then let's slap a so so optic on top.....might as well tell tiger woods to go golf with the cheapest set of golf clubs he could find at the height of his career, because his abilities will overcome the limitations of the equipment.

Your optic is the cake, a precision rifle is the icing.

Edited to add buzby had to edit his post after my post to change the context.
Quote:

"Are you suggesting with marginally lower quality glass, you might shoot something you didn't intend to?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Go from sharp and clear binoculars to dark and blurred scope, with an indistinct cross hair, yep really good choice, don't need quality optics for the most important part of the whole hunt, now I have to try and find the gut shot deer, that just might have become lost.

REALLY GOOD DECISION