Some Piece of equipment you feel is overly hyped

Glass quality in rifle scopes.

I don't need my aiming device to replace a spotting scope. People put glass quality as the end all be all of rifle scope criteria. Most newer scopes over $200 have good enough glass quality to put crosshairs on an animal outside of legal shooting light. Reliability (should be the priority) isn't talked about enough, nor is reticle design.
I was once told, what sits on top of your rifle is more important than the rifle...

Since this is a long range hunting forum, I'm curious if you've compared a $200 Simmons scope to a "quality" scope in low light, direct light (shooting into sun), tracking, above 90 degrees ambient and below 0 degrees, and at all ranges from 200-1200 yards? How bout the performance of these said scopes year in and year out? I can tell you with certainty, any newer scope over $200 can not and has not proved to even compete.

I would be bumping the $200 estimate up about $1000 and maybe it's a more reasonable debate. Even then personal experience tells not.

overhyped - what about the addition of the subjective adjective - " custom" to a description of "anything" deemed other than normal to a firearm, scope, etc......... All of a sudden- "custom" adds significant value, importance beyond imagination. Change a recoil pad- its "custom", flute a bolt on a rifle, its now "custom", change out a stock- yeah thats "custom".......... rebarrel a rifle...... whoah........ thats truly "custom" !!!!!!!!!!!!😫 Just call it "gussied up".
I agree 100%. It's like people need to have that extra acknowledgement of just how special their guns are.
Like the "custom Harley" with 100 bolt-on chrome dealership trinkets.

Glass quality in rifle scopes.

I don't need my aiming device to replace a spotting scope. People put glass quality as the end all be all of rifle scope criteria. Most newer scopes over $200 have good enough glass quality to put crosshairs on an animal outside of legal shooting light. Reliability (should be the priority) isn't talked about enough, nor is reticle design.
I get your point, but $200 is not a good goalpost on a long range hunting forum.
Sure, a Walmart Tasco will put a bullet where it belongs most of the time, but there are too many other considerations in a riflescope to say that they are of acceptable quality.
Anymore, I'd put that number much closer to $1000.

I think a lot of the modern superalloy knife blades are overrated. I might just be in a bad mood after spending an hour on my stones last night to sharpen up my EDC knife last night. I like that I don't have to sharpen it often but it really sucks when I do. I can get a great razor edge on some of my old knives in a quarter of the time. Probably have to sharpen them more often but it's sixes I bet on time spent. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I've always thought I was pretty good at using flat stones but anytime I work on the superalloys I question my skills. I'm hesitant to cough up the dough on a wicked edge sharpener but it might relieve my stress 😂
Man did this one hit home… I thought I could sharpen anything, as I have been doing it for years. Any blade you pick up at my place will shave. I've even made my 3/8" thick commercial ZTR blades shave, for no good reason. I used to poke fun at guys that would buy the latest version of blade gouger 2000…..However, CPM s110V & CPM s90V made me question everything I thought I knew about sharpening knives. After sending Wicked edge $1500 later and having to have every diamond grit up to 4000 & diamond paste 6,3, & 1 micron, and several different types of leather strops, I can put a mirror edge on just about anything. Don't get me started on the sharpness tester….. if it's below 15 why does it matter….lol

Man did this one hit home… I thought I could sharpen anything, as I have been doing it for years. Any blade you pick up at my place will shave. I've even made my 3/8" thick commercial ZTR blades shave, for no good reason. I used to poke fun at guys that would buy the latest version of blade gouger 2000…..However, CPM s110V & CPM s90V made me question everything I thought I knew about sharpening knives. After sending Wicked edge $1500 later and having to have every diamond grit up to 4000 & diamond paste 6,3, & 1 micron, and several different types of leather strops, I can put a mirror edge on just about anything. Don't get me started on the sharpness tester….. if it's below 15 why does it matter….lol
I was hoping you would say fancy knife sharpening systems are overrated….💸💸💸💸💸💸😂

I was hoping you would say fancy knife sharpening systems are overrated….💸💸💸💸💸💸😂
As you and everyone else knows, we can justify pretty much anything at any cost given the "right" circumstances. It comes in a really heavy duty pelican like case and is in it's 1st generation as a family heirloom… lol

I mean, I should start a thread about the unreasonable, unjustifiable, unethical, logic I use in my head to make purchases. An example of this behavior would be something like….someone gives me 4-500 once-fired brass for a "odd" but desirable caliber. Well, the obvious answer is I have to buy a rifle or at least a barrel & dies because when you already have the brass, powder, primers, and bullets…. Is there any other option???

Base layers that aren't made out of merino wool. Although there seems to be a shift in support for good wool clothing in recent years
Completely agree here. Polyester base layers in general are overhyped. Please stop using 100% poly for a base layer. There are five reasons why I always go with the merino:

1. Poly makes me itch
2. Poly makes me sweat
3. Poly makes me stink. It will make your hunting buddy stink too.
4. Sometimes poly makes me break out in a rash
5. Poly does the 4 above things regardless of whether you are scaling to the top of a 3000' vertical rise or riding in the comfort of a heated enclosed-cab side x side. 🤣

I was once told, what sits on top of your rifle is more important than the rifle...

Since this is a long range hunting forum, I'm curious if you've compared a $200 Simmons scope to a "quality" scope in low light, direct light (shooting into sun), tracking, above 90 degrees ambient and below 0 degrees, and at all ranges from 200-1200 yards? How bout the performance of these said scopes year in and year out? I can tell you with certainty, any newer scope over $200 can not and has not proved to even compete.

I would be bumping the $200 estimate up about $1000 and maybe it's a more reasonable debate. Even then personal experience tells not.
You mention tracking, temperature effects, and long term performance. These are the types of things I was talking about being more important than the ultimate glass quality most people are demanding. The best glass out there is useless in an unreliable scope.

I may have exaggerated the price point, but HD, ED, etc glass comes in a reasonable price point these days. The rest of the scope may be crap, but people will buy it anyways, cause "glass quality."

Last edited:
I get your point, but $200 is not a good goalpost on a long range hunting forum.
Sure, a Walmart Tasco will put a bullet where it belongs most of the time, but there are too many other considerations in a riflescope to say that they are of acceptable quality.
Anymore, I'd put that number much closer to $1000.
That was my point, the "other considerations" are often more important than UHD glass quality.

Better quality glass is not too replace the spotting scope....it's to allow you to reach out into the type of ranges where you have to put a stamp on the bullet and misidentification of the game animal can result in shooting the wrong one..to a wound and the loss or even criminal charges because you shot one with horns too small.
I'm all for quality glass, once the rest of the scope is in order. Having UHD glass, and gut shooting that game animal because the scope lost zero doesn't do much good either.

You mention tracking, temperature effects, and long term performance. These are the types of things I was talking about being more important than the ultimate glass quality most people are demanding. The best glass out there is useless in an unreliable scope.

I may have exaggerated the price point, but HD, ED, etc glass comes in a reasonable price point these days. The rest of the scope may be crap, but people will buy it anyways, cause "glass quality."
The funny thing is, you don't get any of those types of things you are talking about in a $200 scope. That's why you are paying for the "ultimate glass quality." You are correct about nothing being useful if it is an unreliable scope. I think you are making my point hahah. Also, I think i understand what you're trying to say but in a long range hunting scenario, quality glass is exactly that. It IS reliable. It has been tested and proved for decades. That's why people buy it. I think there is a place for quality glass in scopes.

I am very happy you have has success with reasonable pricepoint scopes by the way. But as stated before, my personal experience shows cheap scopes are unreliable at filling tags.

Last edited:
I'm all for quality glass, once the rest of the scope is in order. Having UHD glass, and gut shooting that game animal because the scope lost zero doesn't do much good either.
Some of us possibly use the term loosely and incorrectly too.
F I say I want good glass on a rifle I'm probably referring to the whole optic. I want a quality package in one scope.
Don't get me wrong I was happy to use a Nikko Sterling as a kid and later thought the Tasco was an upgrade because the coveted Kahles was way out of budget for me.
I still don't own top tier scopes but I'm considering one.
I have good reliable scopes and my Kahles 8x56 is considered one of the best spotlighting scopes but it's not used much at the range. My Zeiss Diavari has great glass and the whole package holds up on my .300wm.
My meoptas are cheaper but they are clear and reliable.
Nightforce are reliable even in the entry level but some others have better glass

I don't think there are any scopes with high end glass in cheap unreliable scopes. Glass with quality coatings and definition is generally in a trusted brand. Anything can fail but most decent stuff holds zero.