Some one maybe gave my incorrect info

Iron Worker

I shoot a 10"twist 6x284. I asked if it would stabilize a Berger 95gr VLD . I was told yes! Try 52grs of Re#22. On the Berger Box it says 9" twist. Any how I'm looking forward to seeing how they do out of my 10"twist Hart BBL.

Last edited:
Twist rates are a funny thing

The load data you got probably worked for someone else with the same barrel twist. Did you try a couple of loads with that bullet to see if they'd work for you? As for the rest of your post try this link:

Dear Abby on uExpress

Have you bothered to shoot the bullets to see if they actually will shoot in a 1-10 twist or are you just giving up from reading on the box?

My recommended standard twist for the 6-284 with 105 gr Bergers is a 1-10.

I am not saying the 1-10 will shoot the 95 gr well but it would not surprise me if they shot very well. In fact, with the berger bullets, the very least amount of twist you can get away with, the better as far as allowing you fine accuracy with top end performance, especially when you have a chambering capable of +3300 fps with a given bullet weight which you certainly do have.

If you were shooting them in a 6mm BR, I would say yes, a 1-9 would be recommended. Berger has to recommend a twist that will work for ALL 6mm chamberings. You have one of the largest 6mms out there and as such you have the ability to drive these bullets MUCH faster then the average 6mm chambering.

Load them up, push them up to the upper limits of the chambering and I would be suprised if they did not stay on point. If they shoot accurately will depend on many things, namely the rifle and the specific barrel and rifling design.

I wouldnot give up so soon without putting bullets in the air, that would be unwise.

Kirby Allen(50)

I really like the look of those Berger 95 VLDs.

I'm going to shoot those 95s tomorrow. I bet they'll shoot good. I've shot 95gr Nosler BTs before and those shot under an inch........ I was once told that W-Ws WXR is the same as Re#22 ? On the burn rate charts they are listed side by side....... My BBL is a Hart 26" Varmint contour 10" twist.I bet I've had 700 rnds through it. Gun smith who installed BBL recently check BBL with bore scope said it has some throat erosion .

9 twist 6mm's

Hi Kirby I'm just wondering have you tried any 107gr Sierra MatchKings in the 9 twist BR's and in the 10 twist 6mm284's. I'm building a 6mm55SMc and thinking of a 9 twist and also wondering if the 115gr and 117gr DTAC's would stabalize in a 9 twist or 9.5.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.