Need some info

Julius Vatalaro

I have read a bit of reloading info with regards to RL26 and the 7mm Rem Mag. I will be using 160gr Nosler partitions. Alliant has the max powder charge is 65.9gr. However I have read many people loading the same powder and 160gr bullets and stuffing it with 69grs of RL 26. This seems dangerous. Please give me some peace of mind. I plan to do a ladder test and need a starting point and a ending point.

RL26
GM215M primers
Norma brass
160gr Nosler Partition

No two rifles shoot the same charge, it's just physics. Perhaps start a bit lower and work up. I'm beginning load work for a 300 Win Mag with RL26, never used it before and excited to try it.

You could set up a ladder like the following. Start shooting at 64.1. Using .2 increments allows you to identify velocity smaller changes and provides a safe step up to watch for initial pressure signs. You might reach 65.9 with no pressure signs or you may pressure out sooner. It depends on your rifle, cases used, distance off the lands etc. I usually pick an intermediate lands distance like 40 off when doing these for safety.

65.9​
65.7​
65.5​
65.3​
65.1​
64.9​
64.7​
64.5​
64.3​
64.1​

No two rifles shoot the same charge, it's just physics. Perhaps start a bit lower and work up. I'm beginning load work for a 300 Win Mag with RL26, never used it before and excited to try it.
If it works in your 300 Win like in mine you will love it.

Part of the ladder is to find max pressure; the most important is nodes, 1 or 2 promising nodes. Do the ladder at 300. Seating depth test at 300 after in one of those promising nodes. You'll find it.

The Sierra app shows you start hitting max load at 69.4gr with their 160gr bullets, using Nosler brass and WLRM primers. Here is a screenshot, the ** show when you start hitting max load.

Screenshot_20210330-225800.png

Partition bullets seem to run a little higher pressure than the same weight Ballistic Tips or Accubonds.I usually run 150gr Ballistic Tips in my 7mags,but have also shot a few 160gr Accubonds.I ran a few 160gr Accubonds as a test load with 67.5grs of Reloader-26.That was a good load with velocity around 3070fps out of my rifle.I didn't show any pressure sign with that load.

I bought mine a couple of years ago.If you need any reloading supplies now,Good Luck.Reloader 22 is another good powder in the 7mag.I load 66.0grs for 160gr bullets.

I bought mine a couple of years ago.If you need any reloading supplies now,Good Luck.Reloader 22 is another good powder in the 7mag.I load 66.0grs for 160gr bullets.
Thank you for the reply, I dont own a 7Mag but i have darn near everything else that likes RL-26 and Retumbo ( my 2 favorite Unicorns

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.