Smooth Kote by Sentry Solutions

winmagman

Has anybody used this product for barrel break-in? I just picked up my action with a new barrel on it and the barrel maker gave me a sample to try. Before I run any down the barrel I thought I'd check here to get the low down.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Winmagman

Actually Mike Rock of Rock Creek barrels preps all of his barrels with Sentry Solutions Smooth Coat before he sends them to his customers.

He build some of the best tactical rifle barrels money can buy. When I talked to Mike about my new barrel and the barrel break-in process, this is what he had to say.

He first hand laps each barrel with a lead lap. He then uses two products from Sentry Solutions, a product called Smooth Coat, which is an alcohol and moly based product. He applies wet patches of Smooth Coats until the bore is good and saturated and lets it sit until the alcohol evaporates. The barrel now has loose moly in it. Next he uses a product called BP-2000, which is a very fine moly powder. Applied to a patch wrapped around a bore brush, he makes a hundred passes or so through the barrel very rapidly before having to rest. He repeats this process with fresh patches containing the moly powder a few more times. What he is doing is burnishing the barrel surface with moly and filling in any fine micro lines left by the hand lapping. He then uses a couple of clean patches to knock out any remaining moly left in the bore.

For my barrel break-in, he said shoot 20 rounds of non-moly bullets.

With the barrel burnished with moly, this will prevent any metal-to-metal contact during the barrel break in process. My instructions for barrel break-in were quite simple. Shoot 20 rounds (non-moly bullets) with no cleaning, as this will further burnish the barrel. Done! Now clean your barrel.

Hope it helps

[ 10-24-2004: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Thanks Jeff
Mike is the one that gave me the test kit of Smooth Kote and BP 2000. His instructions were just like you posted. Just thought I'd check and see if any one had any negative results with it. Since it doesn't look like any body has anything bad to say about it I'll be prepping the barrel after it comes out of the Devcon.
Thanks again
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.