.300 Weatherby by APS

Slopeshunter, The bolt seems easy to cycle and the angle seems fine. I never really noticed it until you mentioned it and I looked at it again.

Hiredgun,
It shoots like a dream. It is my first custom rifle so I am still in awe, amazed and elated all at once. The muzzle break is wonderful and the kick is minimal. I wish I had a good caliber comparison, but it is less than my .30-06 factory 700BDL.

200 grain Accubonds with 82.6 grains of Ramshot Magnum average 2975fps with a spread of 17.5fps. I can get sub 1" groups at 300 yards, when I do my part. I shot an elk with this load and will post my story soon.

210 grain Matchkings with 84.6 grains of Retumbo shoot 3080fps average with a spread of 30fps. 84.8 grains push the bullets over 3125average, but the spread opens up to 50fps. My best is a sub 3" group (3-shot) at 657 yards across a canyon. After 10 shots the group was just over 8", but there was a breeze at times. I am learning quickly that wind is a great challenge. I am still working with this load, but I killed two antelope with it. I will post my pictures soon.

The SMK do shoot better, but that may be stating the obvious.

eric

Hired Gun,

I too have a .300 Weatherby Accumark. This rifle does not have the factory freebore. 200 grain Accubonds loaded to 3.710OAL are about .002 from the lands.

eric