Savage 110 BA Recoil Pad Solution

soapstone

Even though the recoil of the Savage 110 BA in 338 Lapua Magnum is manageable,
I do not be consider it comfortable. Additionally, shoulder contact with the OEM stock butt plate in the prone position is minimal and increases the perceived recoil. A search for methods to correct these issues only turned up others with the same problems. To date, Savage, Limbsaver, and Pachmyer have not addressed this niche market need. Below is my solution that corrects not only the OEM hard rubber recoil pad, but also improves the prone position shoulder contact issue.
Remove the OEM hard rubber recoil pad and set aside the screws and washers.
20141002_192525.jpg

20141002_192614.jpg
Note the two protruding bushings on the OEM Adjustable Butt Plate
20141002_192830.jpg
SVL Limbsaver part #10025 is a 1/2" soft rubber recoil pad on a 1/4" hard base material made for Magpul stocks. This pad uses the same hole spacing as the OEM Adj Butt Plate but at a lower position on the pad.20141002_192716.jpg
Simply drill out the holes in the Limbsaver base material to just accept the OEM Adj Butt Plate protruding bushings(just keep holes smaller than the washers)
Manipulate the washers and screws through the holes in the 1/2 soft rubber pad then place the pad onto the OEM Adj Butt Plate bushings and tighten.
20141002_194347.jpg20141002_194319.jpg
The Limbsaver base material does not perfectly mate with the OEM Adj Butt Plate due to a bend near the top of the pad. You can now outline this contact point and remove for inletting or just ignore it and go shooting as it does not affect the performance.
Inexpensive
Easy
Looks Cool
Softens Recoil
Improves shoulder contact position​
How many thumbs up is that?
lightbulb

Thank you for the write up. I was looking for a solution to this as well. The factory "pad" is rock hard. I don't know what they were thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.