Limbsaver Recoil Pad

royinidaho

Bought a used REM 700 BDL LH in 338 Win Mag last fall. The way it came the stock was cut a bit short and with a Decelerator pad installed.

My first experience off the bench was Wow, Ouch, ****! This is painful very painful. This was with 225 gr bullets at 2800 fps plus.

I added a bit over a pound to it which tamed it a bit.
I made a special shoulder pad out of 3/4" heavy duty rubber. The added weight and the shoulder pad made things tollerable but 3 shots was about all a fella wanted to do with it.

Replaced the Decelerator with a medium size Limbsaver grind to fit pad and lengthened the pull to 14 1/2". The pad was left at full width and was tapered down to the stock.

Fired 15 shots in 3 shot groups at 200 yds. Smallest group was .53 moa. Loads were 250gr bullets at between 2735 and 2854 fps. All shots were from the bench.

Bottom line: Felt recoil reduced dramatically. Will have no problems, recoil at least, working up long range loads for this one. I couldn't recommend the Limbsaver more highly. I'll be installing another one on the 375 H&H which is already fun to shot.

Have you noticed any deforming or literally melting of the pad? I've got a limbsaver on my 338 and it looks like a burn victim compared to my rifle with a decelerator. Both rifles are subjected to the same conditions, it just seems that the limbsaver is melting away. Great pad for recoil, just not too easy on the eyes. Has this happened to you?

7ultra,

Less than 20 shots with it. No deteriation yet. Will post anything that occurs. If it does go south I'm gonna be ticked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You might try the grind to fit Limbsaver for looks. You have to grind it down to fit your rifle. It looks very good. I have not experienced it melting away..yet. But I know sorbethane is fragile and I wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace it in a few years..

I am looking to put a new pad on my HS precision stock. The rifle is a tactical style .300 win with a heavy barrel, I'm trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of it I can. Recoil is not too big a concern. I have heard alot of good things about the new limbsaver pads however I've also heard that if the pat is too "squishy" it can hurt accuracy. Any opinions?

[ QUOTE ]
I've also heard that if the pad is too "squishy" it can hurt accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Limbsaver is much more firm than the decelarator that was on the rifle. They are as firm as the pachmyer's I have on other rifles. My rest moves rearward about an inch and a half with a shot but my shoulder loves it.

Regarding accuracy: It's hard to shoot that "good group" when your eyes are clouded with tears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I had your rifle I'd make sure that someone experienced in fitting recoil pads did the job. I do think that it is more difficult to get as good of a "finish" when fitting the limbsaver. This was my first one. However, its the distance between the holes in the paper that make a rifle look good to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Johnny5
I am glad that you brought this up & I had thought about
asking the same question. I have read articles from some
writers,one of which is Chuck Taylor in some of his tactical
rifle articles that say that you need a firm rubber pad for the best accuracy or maybe I should say consistancy in the field. He even mentions to stay away from "compartment type"
pads & of couse the limbsaver would be one of those. I am quessing that they feel that if you hold the gun at slightly different angles in the field that the different rearward movement would affect accuracy a little. I want
to reduce felt recoil as much as possible without losing
accuracy. I would sure like to hear the views of those
who have studied this issue.

Limbsaver experience of today.

Shot 7 3-shot groups out of the 338 Win. shooting 250 grain bullets at 2800 fps. The rifle weights 10.4 pounds. The first 3 groups groups were getting the dies set up.

Next 3 groups averaged .6" @ 200yds. Then I think my scope went to pot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

However, couldn't have done it before the Limbsaver. Still no complaints.

Next comes the drop tests.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.