Sierra Matchking or Barnes TSX? Why?

A short barreled 308 and the velocities that it will achieve? Both of those bullets are not good choices for hunting. I'm assuming you are hunting deer? The Sierras are some of the most accurate bullets out there but Sierra has recommended against using them for hunting as long as I can remember. The Barnes is a hard bullet and may or may not expand at those low velocities. Do yourself and the deer a favor and get any of these - Sierra soft points, Nosler ballistic tips, Hornady soft points. All are reasonably priced and accurate.
Otherwise, next fall, we will be discussing why you are not recovering your deer.

3E63BD08-098A-49B4-8D69-0A73C7351B8B.png

Here is some info from Barnes that might be helpful. Although their response was in regard to loads for a 300 WSM, the 165 TSX is discussed with their minimum velocity required for expansion. As others have mentioned, the 165 TSX needs more speed to expand. Based on your hunting situation (muzzle velocity and distance you plan to shoot), you can apply the numbers and see if that bullet will perform for you.

"Both the 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM were designed to shoot in a standard length or short length action; respectively. With the limits SAAMI places on those two's COAL the 165 gr was designed to fit with those parameters. In addition to the COAL we felt the velocities of that bullet, being higher from both magnums would perform better if it had a higher, lower impact velocity of 1800 fps. The 168, TSX and TTSX, was designed more for the 308 Win and 30-06 velocities and thus has a 1500 fps minimum impact velocity. With that said, many many, to include myself, will shoot the 168 gr in either of the magnums since we reloaders are not constrained by SAAMI "and" we want the lower impact velocity for more reliable expansion at farther hunting distances; ie., long range hunting. The 175 LRX is the lightest of our 308 caliber LRX choices and gives a higher BC and lower impact velocity of 1600 fps for those hunters who want a heavier bullet and higher BC. "ALL" excellent bullets which can sometimes cross back and forth within the parameters given."

Hello, I hope this finds you all well. Im getting a large batch of 308's loaded, and I've got a choice between the 2 above. I'm looking for the usual things:
-consistency
-weight retention
-accuracy
-knock down/stopping power

Any and all input is deeply appreciated.

Thanks
I use both bullets, I killed the largest deer of my life with a 120 grain
SMK bullet, 11 point whitetail at 85 yds. He went 15 yards and piled
up. I also killed a 200 pound boar with the same bullet at 120 yds. He "drt" Both reloads were fired from a Remington Model 7 in .260 cal.
I plan on moose hunting this fall with a Barnes 180 grain TTSX in
.300 WM. The Match king bullet has always been a winner for me,
I know it says "match" but it works well on medium size game at 150
yards in, at least that's been my experience.

I called Barnes and the sum up for the .30 TSX(308):
-Minimum FPS for 170% expansion(expected not guaranteed) is 1800fps at impact.
-Referring to SAMII, which calibrated based out of a 24" barrel(which I do not have) and based off my geographical location/average temps, I SHOULD be good on expansion out of a 16" UP TO ~375yrds. That's with a muzzle velocity of 2650 unless loaded hotter.

Additional info: FPS loss/gain averages 25fps per inch deviation from SAMII specs. So from 16", I should expect to lose 200fps as opposed to shooting from the 24" reference. I didn't know that at the start of this, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Many thanks to all comments!

I feel I have A LOT to learn 😂😫

Hello, I hope this finds you all well. Im getting a large batch of 308's loaded, and I've got a choice between the 2 above. I'm looking for the usual things:
-consistency
-weight retention
-accuracy
-knock down/stopping power

Any and all input is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Hunting larger big game, and not expecting every shot to be the "story book" perfectly placed shot behind the shoulder……The Barnes TTSX, no contest! JMO

For other uses…either will suffice, provided the Sierra is a "hunting" bullet"! memtb

The Sierra GAME KING is a awesome deer bullet I have used for years with great success. The old Remington Core Lok's were a excellent bullet out of my 308 also. I am currently trying to find the new Reminton Tipped Core Lok to try. I use the BTTSX 180 with excellent results, but not for deer, but for elk out of my 300 RUM.

I've shot a few deer / hogs with 142gn and 175gn SMK's. They performed fine .

I did shoot a BlackTail with a 168gn Barnes TSX Match out of my 308 a few years back as he was running away. Ruined a lot of meat. Way to much bullet for that little buck. Lol I'd say depends on the game. That 168 Match TSX shot great though.

Last edited:
The SMK's are not a hunting bullet, so I stop there, with the exception of the 300 gr .338 SMK. A truly devastating hunting bullet. I hunt with Barnes pretty much exclusively and have never had a problem with them. In fact quite the opposite and have shot numerous deer with both the 165 and 180 TTSX's. No deer went very far. I have also worked up a load for a friends .308, used the 130 TTSX at around 2900/2950 if memory serves right. He hunts our coastal blacktails, little deer about 110-120 lbs. They have performed perfectly for him.

Some folks talk about the lack of expansion at lower velocities, which may be true, but we limit all our hunting shot to 500 yds. Expansion has never been a problem.

Someone is running around the North of Idaho killing (poaching) whitetail does with a .22 rimfire having a considerable amount of success. While I find the act reprehensible it demonstrates that they aren't too hard to kill. Consider the veracity of your intended game and choose accordingly. I too have had a time in my life when I had to use what I could afford and never failed to fill the freezer.