Sierra Matchking

nond4v8

Does anyone use the sierra matchking for hunting? I know that they are considered "target" bullets. I am looking at the 150gr for my wifes 7mm-08 that will be an elk and deer gun. Let me know your suggestions. I shoot 168 Bergers in my 7mag but am looking at some options for her gun.

I think its a pretty bad idea, a light for caliber bullet in a highly frangible design on elk is asking for disaster. try the 150 TTSX or an accubond or partition. Dont be afraid to go too heavy

With the explosion of quality hunting bullets to hit the market in the past couple years, it really isn't worth your time to look at the MatchKing for your needs. MatchKings WILL kill an animal, the problem is repeatability & consistency (speaking of terminal ballistics). If you were shooting 300 or 338 magnum, I would be speaking slightly differently, but your 7mm-08 just isn't the right match for a SMK.

Mike made some great suggestions & i'll +1 the 150 TTSX. Even your 168VLD would do the job as it WILL expand in situations where the SMK might not (thicker jacket). The Accubond will do nicely, as will the Scirrocco (sp). As much as it pains me to say it, a heavy Partition should work well in this case.

Don't worry about the SMK, it is a highly accurate bullet that just wasn't designed for hunting. It will probably work, but it isn't worth it in THIS case.

With the explosion of quality hunting bullets to hit the market in the past couple years, it really isn't worth your time to look at the MatchKing for your needs. MatchKings WILL kill an animal, the problem is repeatability & consistency (speaking of terminal ballistics). If you were shooting 300 or 338 magnum, I would be speaking slightly differently, but your 7mm-08 just isn't the right match for a SMK.

Mike made some great suggestions & i'll +1 the 150 TTSX. Even your 168VLD would do the job as it WILL expand in situations where the SMK might not (thicker jacket). The Accubond will do nicely, as will the Scirrocco (sp). As much as it pains me to say it, a heavy Partition should work well in this case.

Don't worry about the SMK, it is a highly accurate bullet that just wasn't designed for hunting. It will probably work, but it isn't worth it in THIS case.

I am marking my calendar for the day Tyler admitted the Partition was a good choice.

I am marking my calendar for the day Tyler admitted the Partition was a good choice.

Oh no...... Great, now I have to come up with some kind of plausable deniability.

Wait a minute! Did I really use the term "good choice"? :D or was it "last ditch effort" area?

Does anyone use the sierra matchking for hunting? I know that they are considered "target" bullets. I am looking at the 150gr for my wifes 7mm-08 that will be an elk and deer gun. Let me know your suggestions. I shoot 168 Bergers in my 7mag but am looking at some options for her gun.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/7106068683/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/7106068683/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Notwithstanding the effectiveness of the SMK...

Why not stick with the 168 Berger?

If you consider it effective in your 7RM, why would it not be equally effective from your wife's 7-08? (minus a few hundred yards as would be expected from any given bullet when comparing those 2 cartridges)

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.