Sierra Matchking or Barnes TSX? Why?

archanfire

Hello, I hope this finds you all well. Im getting a large batch of 308's loaded, and I've got a choice between the 2 above. I'm looking for the usual things:
-consistency
-weight retention
-accuracy
-knock down/stopping power

Any and all input is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Smk is not a great hunting choice. Ime neither is Barnes tsx. Can you get tmks or elds?
Unfortunately, budget allows only these(buddy has a bunch laying around so I'm not paying retail). At today's market and economic trends, whichever I go with will probably need to balance between hunting and self defense, so if I can find a decent medium I'll be happy.
Thanks

I've had really good luck selling Barnes on here. Any cup and core bullet with a plastic or lead tip will work great for killing stuff at 308 velocities

For your needs, I wouldn't even consider SMK. They will kill but are not consistent in their terminal performance. They fragment at times and others they just pencil through.
Thanks for the heads up. A lot of people seem to praise the SMK for accuracy consistency, but I haven't found much on terminal performance. Barnes have a love or hate relationship with a lot of people, and their factory loads are pretty pricey. With all the things I've found, I'm trying to get some feedback on the two.

I've shot several deer with the 150 TSX out to 300 yards using a 30-06. The bullets performed well, 2000 fps impact velocity was my limit for this
I've found on some forums that the TSX does best at higher velocities. I have a 16" and a 18" 308, so I plan on calling Barnes to see what barrel length to range ratio I need to expect good-optimal results before making my final decision. My buddy only has 165gr TSX, which may not be ideal for my 16" or even my 18" for that matter.

Thanks for the input/info

I've shot 3 deer at <100 yards with the 165 TSX, 300 win mag, a 24" barrel, and full power reloads, impact velocities over 3000. Bullet expansion and tissue damage was minimal for all three, that bullet seems to be extremely hard. One bullet went through 5 ribs then the heart on a quartering away shot, the wound through the heart was very narrow, I couldn't even fit my pinkie into it. Exit holes have been small, and the holes through the vitals have been unimpressive compared even to a broad head.

I would absolutely not run that bullet out of a short 308 for anything other than paper or as a fur saver on coyotes. The smk issues have already been pointed out.

Something like this would be ideal imo, and they're pretty cheap.

SMKs are being marketed as target bullets (not designed for hunting), but end-users will always push the envelope. People out there use target bullets like the SMKs with outstanding success in the game, along with Bergers and Hornady. "My" choice is the SMK if I can achieve the accuracy and velocity goal for my intended purpose with the shot placement, as @Laelkhunter noted. If the TSX is more accurate, "I" would keep the velocity at 2000 FPS at POI. You will always find differing stances on this because we all have different experiences and preferences, but the decision is always yours. Good luck!