Sierra Matchking or Barnes TSX? Why?

For your needs, I wouldn't even consider SMK. They will kill but are not consistent in their terminal performance. They fragment at times and others they just pencil through.

Good day Jake, what kind of big game and at what ranges have you personally taken game with SMK's? As well, which SMK did you use?

Someone is running around the North of Idaho killing (poaching) whitetail does with a .22 rimfire having a considerable amount of success. While I find the act reprehensible it demonstrates that they aren't too hard to kill. Consider the veracity of your intended game and choose accordingly. I too have had a time in my life when I had to use what I could afford and never failed to fill the freezer.
I'm always as ethical I can be when I pull a trigger and try to use proper caliber suitablefor the job. Affordability is definitely the key factor in my situation. Given the current economic, social and political clime, I don't think it's a time where beggars can be choosers IMO.

Edit: Always sad to hear about poaching. If you need meat to survive you do what you gotta do, just be ready for the consequences connected to your actions. Several years back, we had a few guys killing all the deer they could and leaving them lay/rot. It took a few semi's with flat trailers to haul the carcasses out. They caught the individuals involved, but i dont know what happened to them.

Last edited:
Out of those two, I would personally opt for the SMK. I have shot quite a bit of game with SMKs. From jackrabbits to bull elk and everything in between.

.224 52SMK & 69SMK
6mm 107 & 110SMK
.257 100SMK & 131 Blackjack (even though I will never support Blackjack again-hoping Sierra comes out with a replacement)
6.5mm 140SMK, 142SMK, & 150SMK (plus the 130TMK which is wicked on game)
7mm 175SMK, 183SMK & 197SMK (plus the 160TMK which is WICKED on game)
.308 168SMK, 175SMK & 210SMK

Probably a few more too.

Last edited:
Hello, I hope this finds you all well. Im getting a large batch of 308's loaded, and I've got a choice between the 2 above. I'm looking for the usual things:
-consistency
-weight retention
-accuracy
-knock down/stopping power

Any and all input is deeply appreciated.

Thanks
I've never seemed to have a problem running matchkings for hunting purposes??? SMK's are my favorite bullets matter of fact. Matter of fact a 53 grain match king out of a 22-250 works wonders on deer. 250 grain match king out of 338edge worked superb on a 600 yard elk with complete diagonal end to end penetration. In a .308 I've only used 110 grain varminter hp's on deer and bear they work great as well. It's a bullet put it where it needs to be and it'll do its job just fine!!!!!

Good day Jake, what kind of big game and at what ranges have you personally taken game with SMK's? As well, which SMK did you use?
Whitetails at 80yds, 125yds, 210yds, and 250yds. Used them for a depredation hunt several year back after lack luster performance I don't shoot these anymore a game. CNS hits dropped like a rock as expected but double lung/heart shot they ran 150-300yds. This was all the 168gr smk

The Sierra GAME KING is a awesome deer bullet I have used for years with great success. The old Remington Core Lok's were a excellent bullet out of my 308 also. I am currently trying to find the new Reminton Tipped Core Lok to try. I use the BTTSX 180 with excellent results, but not for deer, but for elk out of my 300 RUM.
👍🏼🇺🇲