Short chambered barrel question

Thankyou for ya'lls input! The reason I ask is that the only Adams & bennett 7mm barrel thats offered in a 1-9.5 twist is short chambered in 7mm mauser. The blanks and other short chambered 7mm barrels are a 1-10 twist. It will be going on a commercial mauser with a mag bolt.

I used PTSC barrels on my first couple of mauser builds, too, with mixed results. My first PTSC barrel was an A&B. After that, I switched to Shilen. The A&B was OK, but I had much better luck with the Shilen barrels.

With the last PTSC Shilen barrel that I had installed, the smith told me he had a lot of difficulty getting a proper match between the barrel and receiver threads. After that, I started just buying unthreaded, unchambered, contoured blanks. The jury is still out on the final results, but I suspect that the end product will be more consistent.

Using contoured blanks allows the smith to be more precise in fitting the barrel to your receiver and increases the chances that you will have a well cut chamber. I have also found it easier to obtain the twist, contour, and barrel material that I want. The final difference in cost has been minimal, if any.

Food for thought...

I turn down work when it involves an A&B / E.R. Shaw barrels. Most accuracy minded gunsmiths do. They're just not the quality I want coming out of my shop. I recommend the customer think twice before making such a selection. They're just factory/production quality barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.